• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1572 Diesel Turbo Install

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did the gear reduction starter upgrade, as mine was getting bad. Used the saws-all trick from one of the other forum members and saved a bunch of headache getting the old one out.

293657.jpg

293658.jpg

New starter ($85 online from DB Electrical) makes a HUGE difference!!!!

293659.jpg

While I was at it I replaced the starter cable as well...ends were corroded and didn't want to take any chances on a bad cable since i was this far already.

Also did the glow plug relay upgrade. This was thought up by another forum member....I just gave it my own spin.

Installed new plugs, just to be sure they were all the new type.

293661.jpg

Made up new 10 gauge jumpers to the outside plugs and ran #6 to the center plug, this way the 10 gauge only carries the load for one plug.

293662.jpg

Removed the glow indicator, took off the resistance coil, and mounted a red LED in it's place.

293663.jpg

293664.jpg

Installed a Ford truck solenoid above the voltage regulator and wired with #6 off of the battery. I used the old plug wire to energize the coil and ran the (+) for the LED off of the load side to be sure I was getting power to the plugs. Since I replaced the starter cable, I powered the main buss circuit breaker off of the solenoid as well. Ended up being a clean install....

293665.jpg

293666.jpg

For grins, I hit one of the old plugs with 12V from my booster pack.....glowing red hot in about 8-10 seconds.

293667.jpg

With the starter and the GP relay, it jumps to life now....no more 45-60 seconds on the plugs before it fires!

To finish it off, I added a rear hyd. kit and made up some sway chains for the 3pt. (still need to trim them to length.

293669.jpg

Whole tractor got new fuel and return lines while it was all apart too....

Finally, I changed the exhaust to a mandrel bent curved tip to redirect some of the sound forward and give it the 5488 look.....

293670.jpg

Not too bad for about 8 hours work total.....

Question for Steve & Rick Beem. Did you guys reuse the original Kubota water temp sender wih your new gauges or find a 1/8-28 BSP sender to match the threads in the head? I have an 882 with a bad water temp gauge and I can not find a new gauge kit with a 1/8 BSP sender included.

Chase the threads with an 1/8" NPT tap and use the sender from the new gauge. Threads are very close and there were no issues on my install. See beginning of this thread for lots of discussion on t hi is topic and advice from a Kubota mechanic....

Jared,
Initially I looked for adapters, but re-tapping is the way to go.
Liberally coat the tap with grease and it will catch most of the chips.
Run the tap down until you have (3) full teeth exposed and the depth will be good.
I used a small extendible magnet to chase down stray chips, then clean up the grease residue.

Thanks guys. I'll just re-tap it. Guess I should've read the entire thread instead of drooling over the pics and dreaming about putting a turbo on mine.

Jared,

That profile pic of yours looks familiar....
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

It's nice to have a temp gauge with actual numbers on it to reference. See my pics below for an Autometer part number for a good electric temp gauge for about $50.

Steve. Good eye. That pic was taken at your plow day in 2008 if I remember correctly. Come to think of it, that was the last one I was even able to make it to.

Your glow plug indicator setup looks very familiar to the one I just installed a couple days before you posted yours. I drilled out the lower piece of the indicator housing and used a 3/4" grommet mount amber led trailer light I found at TSC. I'll try to get a pic tonite.

What happened to the 45degree bent exhaust pipe? That video appears to have a straight pipe.

Video was shot with pipe #1, pipe #2 showed up later
happy.gif

Wondering if any of you guys have replaced the fan belt idler pulley on one of these & could steer me towards a replacement. I'm working on the 882 and it needed new belts, rag joints & couplers as well as a bunch of other service work and noticed the pulley was sounding kind of rough. Of course it's NLA from CCC and the IH number did me no good a the Case IH dealer either.

Found the belts at Car Quest, part #'s 15320 for the WP & alt belt and #l327 for the fan belt.

Back