• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

147 from the 70's

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I knew the original owner and have most of the attachments including rototiller and snow thrower.
Welcome Nick! I have a 147 that was purchased new by my Dad’s cousin. I mowed his grass as a teenager with that 147. When Charlie passed on I purchased it at his estate sale. Over the years I have added a moldboard plow, push blade, rototiller, and snow thrower. The 147 is my wife’s favorite and mine as well.

thanks everyone! I still use it to cut my lawn. the deck needs some TLC, working on a new Shroud assy. I did notice the Blades speed slows down occasionally when I hit a patch with taller grass. any renominations on what to look at? the deck belt seems fine, I wasn't sure it it was a tension pulley issue, or belt slippage.

thanks everyone! I still use it to cut my lawn. the deck needs some TLC, working on a new Shroud assy. I did notice the Blades speed slows down occasionally when I hit a patch with taller grass. any renominations on what to look at? the deck belt seems fine, I wasn't sure it it was a tension pulley issue, or belt slippage.
Could be a number of things. Maybe PTO slips under load. Maybe belt is slipping. Maybe blades need sharpened. Maybe deck spindle bearings need cleaned and greased. I go through a process of elimination until I find the problem.

Could be a number of things. Maybe PTO slips under load. Maybe belt is slipping. Maybe blades need sharpened. Maybe deck spindle bearings need cleaned and greased. I go through a process of elimination until I find the problem.
Hey BCarl, thanks for the info, How do I check the PTO clutch to see if it is slipping?

Hey BCarl, thanks for the info, How do I check the PTO clutch to see if it is slipping?
Check to see if there is a slight gap between the thrust button (the button in the lever that pushes against the pto to disengage) and the pto button. Sometimes if there is a slight bit of pressure on the pto it will cause it to slip under load. If you still suspect your pto you should pull the pto off and check it for adjustment. There is an FAQ on pto adjustment on this site.

Hello, I have two 147s. One of them is the cub that I helped the dealership mechanic uncrate and assemble back in 1971 when I was 14. I have mowed over 3 acres with it almost every year. (It pulled the homecoming float all 4 years I was in high school making it the official garden tractor of the class of 75.) We have 3 acres of hillside that is 45 degrees plus steep. I tore my 147 apart a few years ago to fix the hydro linkage, repair numerous hydro leaks, deteriorated wiring and etc. I wanted another 147 for my son to mow with me and found an original owner 147 in Chicago. We call that one the Chicago Cub. It was in great shape and had only mowed a small yard in the suburbs. It needed a new carburetor and I bought a cheap china carb that worked fine until the butterfly rod broke from the linkage and it went wide open and threw a rod before I could shut it off. Well life has been rough and the yard has gone unmowed for four years. (I figure that I have saved over 800 in gas alone and our taxes have gone down) I recently came across a 2086 that was somebody's baby. I doubt that it has ever been wet, it looks like its new. The 60" haban mower is a big improvement over the 147's 48" decks. However, I will soon be skilled in plastic repairs. I am surprised that such a heavy tractor would have such pitiful plastic panels on it. I was pleased that its center of gravity was low enough that it felt stable on 45+ degrees. It requires that there are not any controls on the fenders as that is where you sit when mowing a hill that steep.
You can tell from the picture that I mow a lot after dark. My heart is still with the old 147 and I look forward to mowing again with her...maybe next year. And my 12 yo son is wanting the Chicago Cub fixed so he can mow with me.
DSCN6332.JPG

It needed a new carburetor and I bought a cheap china carb that worked fine until the butterfly rod broke from the linkage and it went wide open and threw a rod before I could shut it off.
That's a new one, but definitely food for thought! Cheap in this case became very expensive!

Latest posts

Back