1330 Quits Half Way Through The Yard

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbrenner

displayname
Matthew Brenner
Hey guys, I was mowing with my 1330 yesterday and about half way through the yard (~1hr mowing) it started to bog and want to cut out as if it were running out of gas. It would die and I could get it running again using choke but then it didnt want to stay running unless I had the choke out and still didnt seem to have much power. This happened to me once or twice at the end of last season too but I mowed the whole yard with no problems last weekend. After I left it sit for maybe 30 minutes it fired right up as if nothing was wrong. Any ideas? Could it be related to the outside temp and something getting too hot (magneto?)? Thanks!

Matthew, Because useing the choke kept it running I'd say your trouble is in the fuel system. Try taking the fuel line off and see if you have full flow through it. (let it run for a minute to make sure it's a continuous flow).

Naw! I say only mow half the yard, think of all the free time you will have.
1AA_dance2.gif

Matthew,

I remember when I had a similar problem, it turned out the valves were sticking.

The first thing (I think) you need to do is eliminate a mechanical cause of your problem. Because the problem correlates directly to the heat buildup in the engine, and because it is deteriorating (from last season to this), I suspect mechanical or ignition-type issues. Heat buildup shouldn't affect the fuel delivery system, unless . . . the float is sticking.

So, if I were you, I would try to recreate the condition, i.e., mow half the yard, and when the engine starts to die, I would (1) pull the spark plug and give it a compression test, (2) spray some ether (starting fluid) in the carb when trying to start it.

The results you expect from such tests are: (1) no compression = valve issues, (2) brief start/run = fuel delivery issues. If the problem isn't mechanical (compression), or fuel (tank/pump/filter/carb), then the issue must be spark.

I use a B&S spark tester, but a helper holding a screw driver 1/4" away from ground, or an old spark plug with the electrode removed are reputed to do the same thing -- tell you if you have a good blue spark.

If you want, you can reverse the order of the tests: check for spark, check for fuel, check for compression.

I'm betting the valves are sticking, but the coil may be cutting out.

Let us know what you find.

Matt
I would check fuel related items first.

I agree with you Jeremiah, several times what I thought was a fuel issue was not. I like using a carb cleaner vs. starting fluid it's not as hot or dry, closer to gas.
Should go with out saying but you still want to be careful either can blow up in your face use in a well vented area or out side.

Matt, I had the same problem. Tried everyting I could think of, changed the fuel filter, added more gas, even added a brand new carb. Finally noticed that when it stopped, there ware bubbles boiling up from the outlet hole in the bottom of the tank. Since my dealer has consistantly provided the fat universal Kohler filter I took a leap of faith and ordered one of the correct ones. I also moved it back to below the tank, just outside the pedestal, before it goes under the frame and ran new line all the way to the carb. Since I moved it and installed the correct, kinda "dinky" little fuel filter, I haven't had any problems with it,.

Latest posts

Back