• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1204 tranny problem i think

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtew

displayname
donnie tew
I was out plowing snow this morning with my 1204 and working it pretty hard as we have 20" of new snow. as im going along plowing in 4th gear i start loosing ground speed. stop the tractor and hit reverse and back out try moving without a load on the tractor and it is moving real slow til it actually stopped. I am by no means a mechanic so im asking for advice or ideas. Am i assuming correctly that this would be a peerless unit also. and are there any good options for a replacement?

Donnie:
I'm in no way familiar with your tractor, but out of curiosity, I looked at the blowups in the parts lookup and am wondering if you checked the driveshaft - it looks like there might be a roll pin in each end that pins the shaft to the drive couplings..By your description of how it failed (it slowed down)I'd be looking for something slipping, before looking for something broke internally ...

Donnie,

It is a peerless, but I would bet you have a belt, clutch, or maybe the 90 deg gearbox. Deere used the same transaxle and they take some abuse. I would look at the drive line before the trans real good and make sure nothing is broke there.

Deep snow, could be the belt got wet.......

I found the cause of the problem. four bolts that hold the gear box in place 3 of em broke allowing the belt to slip. replaced the bolts and belt broke. man my luck is awesome. replaced the belt and went back to plowing and was keeping an eye on the bolts. 20 mins of plowing equaled 2 more broken bolts. replaced and same scenario repeated itself. i hate to ask but any suggestions?

Donnie, bet someone is going to suggest using grade 5 or 8 bolts. Are you using regular <font size="-2">home depot</font> bolts now ?? Gotta look in the specialty drawers for what you need.
<font size="-2">Matt sure can type fast!</font>

have my son picking up grade 8's as we speak.
what is puzzling me though is i honestly think something is arry because a few years ago when mowing i had noticed that they were loosening up. gonna try the grade 8's and lock nuts and see if that helps at all

Latest posts

Back