• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbell

displayname
Paul Bell
I've had this 102 sitting on the "boxes" for over a year and figured it was time I started a little refurbishing. It came with a 12 hp engine and had been repainted at some point, and redecaled with 122 decals. The seat was a 102 seat and since that is what it was built as, that is what will go back on it along with the correct 102 decals. Although not correct, the 12 hp engine will also stay. Plans are to get it finished in time for Cub-Arama next month. I still have some of the "yellow parts" and all of the "white parts" to repaint, and the hyd pump to reseal. I've gotten a little slower doing this than I used to be, <font size="-2">must be that age thing......</font> so I hope I get it done in time
261799.jpg

261800.jpg

The 122 uses the same fiberglass pan with the moulded, padded, vinyl cover that the 123/4/5 has
261808.jpg

and the 102 uses the white rubber seat that is probably the most uncomfortable seat IH used.
261809.jpg

Paul, very nice! I see it has a hydraulic lift too. Is that fiberglass seat one in your collection? If so, what is the tractor that it is mounted onto? Looks like a Cub of some model with owner built/modded fenders.

I once had a 102. I probably should have kept it but it went to a good home at one of the forum members here.

Kraig,
The fiberglass seat is mine, it is on a "home made Cub Cadet". The tractor was built to it's present state in the late 60's early 70's by Mr. Gene Johnson. Mr. Johnson was a welder for W.E. Callwell Tanks, (now Southern Tanks, makers of storage tanks)and only had one arm. I'm told he liked the 70/100 models of the Cub Cadet, but they were not user friendly for him, so he decided to build his own, and his own mower deck. Every thing on the tractor was new at the time it was installed, including the metal. The engine is new or has very little run time on it. I has oil in it and the acid in the oil has etched and discolored the end of the dip stick. The PTO clutch also was/is new. The transmission is for a 70/100 and has never been painted other than the casting sealer IH put on the castings, never had oil in it, has no S/N on it. I won't speculate how he got it. The tires and wheels were new, the fronts are some two piece industrial wheels. They front tires were flat and had set for so long that when aired up to move the tractor they split shortly afterwards. The front axle is homemade, the dash it from a 70/100 with the sides shaped to blend into the hood. It sets down between the channel frame rails and is bolted to the rails through the original mounting holes. He made the frame, hood, fenders, grill, rear axle extensions, seat mount ect. The seat is the FG pan and was dirty from sitting in his garage/shed for so many years, and the only damage is a dent in the foam padding from something setting in it for years. The steering box/column and wheel was new, and it came to me with another new one that did not have the mounting holes drilled or tapped. Besides the original 70/100 wheel, the tractor has a wheel from a wide frame on it at present, but it just sitting on the steering shaft and does not have the nut installed. That is the newest part on the tractor. All of the welds were not completed, some are just tackwelded, and the steering arm was tacked to the left front spindle and broke when moving the tractor. Mr. Johnson's health failed and the tractor was never finished. His sister had moved in with him to take care of him, and after he passed away she called the local cub Cadet dealer to come get the tractor and pass it on to someone that would take care of it and hopefully finish it. The dealer passed it on to me in 2008, but I have not done any thing to finish it.....yet
261816.jpg

261817.jpg

261818.jpg

261819.jpg

261820.jpg

Johnny Cash (One Piece at a Time) would be SO impressed!
happy.gif
happy.gif

Paul, very interesting tractor! Thank you for sharing the story and details.
happy.gif

Little by little, it's getting there. I painted this one with rattle cans, and because of the high heat and humidity, the paint is taking a long time to cure/dry, but I guess thats better than using a spray gun and hardener w/o a supplied air resporator (sp) like I have done on other ones.
262241.jpg

262242.jpg

262243.jpg

262244.jpg

Paul--that thing is looking great! You are rounding third base at this point. The home stretch is in sight. It's a good feeling isn't it? Keep up the good work!!!!

Hi Paul - looking at the great project and have a couple novice questions. First, is that a new steering wheel and if not how on earth did you get that shine. Also, was wondering about grill and grill screen colors. I've been using VHT silver 900 deg caliper paint but not sure I'm right on the color, especially on the screen. Should it be black? Anyway, really enjoy your progress and can't wait to see the finished product.

Terry,
The steering wheel is painted with gloss, black, enamel. The grill screen was either white or natural aluminum and I just misted it with satin black enamel. The grill insert is painted with Eastwood (eastwood.com) "Silver Cad".

Thank you Paul. I'm also curious if you shine up the headlight rings and if so with what. Yours look nice and shiney and mine are pretty dull. No clue how they looked new. BTW - I'm working on a 122 now - hence all the questions. Thanks

Paul, looking good! One question. In the photo at the way bottom of the page I see the two bolts holding the rear of the fender are not painted but in the last batch of photos you posted I see they are now painted. Was there a flaw in the fenders that caused you to repaint (like chipped paint around the bolts) or do you typically paint the bolt heads on a refurb?

Kraig,
Those bolts go into the cross panel, just above the 3 point casting, and were new bolts, and I painted the heads by hand after the bolts were installed, but I will have to do them again because I am going to replace the rear fenders. The ones on the tractor have too much paint(too thick from previous repaints)on them and if the light hits them just right underlying paint flaws show through, that plus one of them has some extra holes in it like there may have been a fender mount radio installed at one point.

Paul, makes sense to me.
happy.gif
Sorry to hear about having to replace the fenders.

Almost there, need to finish the hyd pump and it' will be ready to start..........hopefully. Why did I paint it yellow? Cause I could. When this tractor was built, the Cub Cadet line (and the Farmall Cub and International Cub Lo-Boy) were part of the Industrial Equipment Group of the IH Farm Equipment Division. By this time frame, all the other IH Industrial tractors were painted yellow and the model number's had a 2 or 3 as a prefix rather than an "I", to the basic farm tractor model number, the prefix depending on the basic model number. In the 1967 Industrial Equipment Buyers Guide, all the 3xxx number tractors (loader tractors 3514, 3414, 3616 etc.) were painted yellow with white wheels. The 2XXX (21206, 2806, 2504 2424 etc.) were yellow with yellow wheels. So........ why not Cub Cadet. Guess this is a "what could have been".
262722.jpg

262723.jpg

262724.jpg

Latest posts

Back