Kirk Engines, Inc Cub Cadet Used Parts CADET CONNECTION Cub Cadet Specialties Cub Cadet Specialties

100 Battery box

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Forum:

kmcconaughey

Keeper of the Photos
Staff member
Administrator
displayname
Kraig McConaughey
Mark, first off, just so that you know, there were two different sized battery boxes during the 70/100 production run. Yours appears to have had the smaller variant. A previous owner must have wanted to install a larger battery and cut out the sides. Having said that, I don't have the dimensions for either size battery box, but I can point you to some photos of the larger one. Forum member Marty Gwin refurbished a 100 not that long ago and he has a thread on it here. Hopefully Marty or someone else that has a 100 will post dimensions for you. Here's some photos from Marty's thread that shows how the bigger battery box is supposed to look:

dschwandt

IHCC Supporter
displayname
David Schwandt
Looks like the tower & box has been patched and butchered.
If it really bothers you, Best try to find a replacement unless you are good with sheet metal fab and repair work.

What's there now is actually a piece of Cub 1x6 1x7 firewall!

JPrattico

displayname
Cubcadet_107
Well I'll be darned, It IS! I don't think I've ever seen a PO mod like that before! Looks like it's welded on, gonna be quite the task to get it off.

gary noblit

IHCC Supporter
Looks like the tower & box has been patched and butchered.
If it really bothers you, Best try to find a replacement unless you are good with sheet metal fab and repair work.

What's there now is actually a piece of Cub 1x6 1x7 firewall!
Dave,I've only been on here a few months and have yet to figure out all the jargon you experienced guys use...Explain please 1x6....1x7 ????

dschwandt

IHCC Supporter
displayname
David Schwandt
Series #5 Cub Cadet The last of the narrow frames
Consisting of the 106,107,126, 127 & 147

glippert

displayname
Greg Lippert
Gary - Dave's original reply listed 1x6 and 1x7. 1x6 would include 106 & 126. 1x7 includes 107, 127 & 147.

gary noblit

IHCC Supporter
Ok guys I read it 3 times and ended with Harry's headache but some small understanding....sort of until he got to the 82s

tlavalette

displayname
Tom Lavalette
Why not just use it like it is. You can get a battery hold down "kit" at any auto supply house.

mgwin

displayname
Marty A. Gwin
Here are the measurements for the 70/100 battery boxes. These boxes are made of 1/8" sheet metal.
I used a tape measure, so the specs could be off 1/32 of an inch or so.
Measurements are I.D.
Looking at the battery box from the front of the tractor, width is side to side, depth is measured from motor to dash tower, and height is bottom to top of box.
Small box:
Width: 8-1/4"
Depth: 5-7/8"
Height: 3-1/8"

Large box:
Width: 10-1/2"
Depth: 6-3/4"
Height: 3-1/8"

mgonitzke

displayname
Matt Gonitzke
Battery box is not anywhere near 1/8" thick...should be about the same thickness as the rest of the dash tower.

mgwin

displayname
Marty A. Gwin
Matt,
Not anywhere near 1/8"? Like I said, I used a tape measure.
If you read the second sentence, it says "I used a tape measure so the specs could be off 1/32 of an inch or so."

kashaver

displayname
Kelvin Shaver
I knew I had seen that part that is used as the battery tray somewhere. It might help if you show Mark a picture of the part in it's correct location on a tractor.

There are 2 ways to go if you want it near original. If you are pretty good with fabrication, you can probably make something like the above picture.

Or you can get a better/unmolested dash tower from someone on here or else look for a good used one on Ebay.

Keep in mind that the Cub Cadet 100 could have two different size battery boxes. The large box accepts a full size car battery, while the small box will only accept a conventional lawnmower size battery. If the archives are working I asked a question about this a year or so ago.

kmcconaughey

Keeper of the Photos
Staff member
Administrator
displayname
Kraig McConaughey
I knew I had seen that part that is used as the battery tray somewhere. It might help if you show Mark a picture of the part in it's correct location on a tractor..
Here's where that 1x6/7 dash/firewall part was originally located:

1x7_Dash_01.jpg

1x7_Dash_02.jpg

1x7_Dash_03.jpg

Latest posts