• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Would you buy 154 or 184

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhess

displayname
Dan Hess
have chance to buy a 154 with creeper or a 184. both in about same condition and price range. can't make up my mind, so looking for opinions.
thanks

Dan, the site link here
http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/tractor-brands/ih/ih-tractors.html
will allow you to compare specs; they have the same engine and use the same tires, but were made at different times. The 184 seems to be an upgrade to the 154, although it weighs about 200 lbs more.

I don't have experience with either of them, but I noticed that the yellow 154 has the "Zig-Zag" front grille like that era of Cub Cadets had, while the red 184 profile reminds me of my 782 of the same vintage.

I would think the creeper would make the 154 more valuable than the 184, but others may have a different opinion.

Just offering some points to ponder. A ride in the seat, a close look at the general condition, and a consideration of the repairs I would have to make to each one would make the decision for me.
smile.gif

Dan H.
Hands down, go with the 184.
The clutch system was changed/upgraded to a better design.
The 154 is a great machine IF the clutch has been replaced in the last 20 years.

Dan I like the red color on the 184, not that yellow was bad but it does make it look better...IMHO

DAVE - Dad had a '57 LoBoy that he traded for a 154, just about the time I bought my 982. The deck on the 154 mowed really nice, think it was a 60 inch deck, but the tractor itself was under-powered, stuck with just the 3-speed, you always seemed to need a gear between the ones you had, and he spent $400 to have the local C/IH dealer rebuild the PTO clutch just before he sold it. He did the clutch R&R himself, the $400 was just parts & labor to rebuild it.

If I had a choice between an SGT & a 154/184 it would be an easy choice, the SGT is a much better mower, smaller & more nimble and attachments are much more available.

But between your two choices, I think the 154 w/creeper would be my pick. But the 184 does look better IMO. Local cemetary has a 184 hooked to a running gear with a 500 gal. water tank on it they use to water plants, trees, & bushes all summer. I keep waiting for it to get parked along the road with a for sale sign leaning against the frt tire.

184, every day of the week and twice on Sunday...electric PTO clutch is a big deal!!!!!

Latest posts

Back