Wiring question

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssehon

displayname
sam sehon
Ok so the mower from hell strikes again. Ran it to test the carb repair I did and shut it down. Tried adjusting the deck which is NO FUN at all. Went to start it up and got nothing. Not even a click. Switched batteries, still nothing started to look over everything and found the key switch plug was melted. Moved he plug slightly and the motor started. Had to pull the plug wire to kill it. So I got a new switch and took a plug from an MTD mower of mine. Matched the wires up so they went to the same place as the old plug and it cranks but wont fire. There is no spark at the spark plug. Found a wiring diagram on the cub cadet parts search engine but I don't understand it.

Does anyone have any idea where I should start looking? Really need this mower working ASAP. My back up is down with a slung drive belt tensioner.

Thanks

since it decided not to fire after you replaced the plug, i'd start looking there. maybe if it's not the actual correct plug, one of the wires may not be making contact

OK I got a cub key switch and the mower starts and runs although it starts on the run mark but I dont hear the starter staying engaged. BUT now the PTO wll not engage at all. Have searched the forums and found nothing on trouble shooting the electric PTO. This is on a 1330 and the grass is getting tall.

Please help.

get ahold of a wiring diagram, you must have some wires mixed up. This forum and a few others have some wiring diagrams for many of our tractors.

Adrian G...and does he have the correct ignition switch??? No such thing as just a "cub key switch".

Myron B

That's a good point you may have the wrong new key switch.

As for the key switch I gave the dealer the model # and all info on the mower so if its he wrong one or not I dont know. I got a wiring diagram from the cub cadet parts search engine site but its greek to me.

Moved a couple of wires and now the key switch is starting the mower properly but PTO still not engaging. Is there a wire that energizes the PTO from the key switch?

Sam S: No there is NOT a wire direct from the ignition switch and the PTO clutch. Is your PTO switch new?? All functions go through it and these can go bad and cause your clutch problem. Also check the reverse cutout switch....That can kill the PTO clutch. The seat switch can also cause the PTO to disengage or not to engage......You must learn to follow the lines of the electrical diagram and use a VOM to check and see where the electricity stops. If that boggles your mind...find a good service tech and give him the electrical diagram and let him fix it...

Myron B

Finally got it to run and cut. Thanks for all of the advice. It turns out that when I wired in the plug from the old parts mower that I got the four red wires coming from it crossed but cut them back apart and used wire nuts until I got it straightened out.

Myron I did not know that everything went through the PTO switch and since it is not new I will be replacing it soon. Will be trying to learn to read the diagrams ASAP because as I have found out everything is electrical on this mower.

thanks again.

Sam

Glad you figured it out. This is definitely a helpful forum. Myron and the other guys are always a great help.

Latest posts

Back