• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Windows XP picture folder problems

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rchristensen

displayname
Richard Christensen
Running Windows XP Professional, recently experienced problems with one of my picture folders.

When I view the folder files in (Filmstrip) or (Thumbnails) I get an incorrect picture,(different from the description below the picture) if I view in any other way they are correct.

In Filmstrip the picture highlighted does not match the big picture and it does not match the description under the picture.

In Thumbnails viewing which I normally use the picture highlighted does not match the description under the picture. When you click on the highlighted picture to make it big the big picture (IN Windows Picture and Fax Viewer) is not what was highlighted but is what the description under the picture said it was.

All of my other folders view correctly. I made a new folder and can take any picture out of the corrupted file and it is okay when I place it in the new folder. I tried googling this problem and it looks like other people have had this problem but I didn't really see a good answer.

Anyone have any ideas? I can take all of the pictures out and place in a new folder and delete this folder but would like to know why this happened.

Richard -

Perhaps the Thumbs.db file in that folder is corrupt. It's a hidden file. Delete it, select a different folder, then select the problem folder and let Windows Exploder rebuild the thumbnails.

Just a guess...

Bryan

Right on Mr. Computer Guru, thats exactly what it was. Fixed it right up.
thumbsup.gif

Thanks
Richard

Attachments

• thumbsup.gif
    thumbsup.gif
    150 bytes · Views: 135
Richard -

Did I mention that I take all major credit cards thru PayPal?
lol.gif

Just kidding!

I'd settle for an autographed piece of cardboard!
wink.gif

Anyway, glad to help. As to why it happened? I doubt even Mr. G could tell you (he IS chief architect, after all...) Maybe it was the full moon, sunspots, a flaky spot on disk/in memory, etc, etc...

Rick M. -

Thanks for the backup!

Here's a good one for ya - new NIC - put it in and it conflicted with my USB bluetooth dongle. Huh??? Put the old NIC back in and all is fine.

Attachments

• lol.gif
    lol.gif
    158 bytes · Views: 105
  • wink.gif
    wink.gif
    880 bytes · Views: 136
Rick M. -

Nope, it's on as usual. The bluetooth mouse/keyboard worked just long enough to CTRL+ALT+DEL and log in then stopped responding shortly after that.

Hmmm, must be a driver issue then. On my Dell laptop for work the PC Card Firewire won't work with the modem running (which is rarely ever used, but I've had the need for both a few times)...

Working with Dell we found that the drivers both use the same memory range allocation.

Wonder if that's the case here?

Rick M. -

Could be, but since I have the latest drivers for both...

Dell? You don't roll your own??
lol.gif

Nobody I can really talk to - 64-bit Chaintech mobo, blah blah blah
wink.gif

Attachments

• wink.gif
    wink.gif
    880 bytes · Views: 136
  • lol.gif
    lol.gif
    158 bytes · Views: 136
Not in laptops... We roll our own servers and desktops unless the client requires a specific brand (like the old days when they had contracts with Dell/IBM/Compaq).

Usually use either Intel or SuperMicro components (mobo,chassis and etc).

I've got to stop reading this section this early in the morning. My brain's not awake enough for it to realize that it hurts.
Maybe if I used my secret decoder ring....

LOL!
coffee.gif
Me thinks you are
confused.gif
that early in the morning

Attachments

• coffee.gif
    coffee.gif
    10.8 KB · Views: 131
  • confused.gif
    confused.gif
    473 bytes · Views: 146
Rick M:
shhh.gif
confused.gif
is an understatement. After about 2 or 3
coffee.gif
, I can usually remember how to spell
ihrotate.gif
without
explotar2jr.gif
. It's not that I hate mornings, it's just the process of waking up. That's why I never take naps.
thumbsdown.gif
No sense waking up more than once a day.
dunno.gif

(Message edited by bmoore on October 23, 2005)

Attachments

• dunno.gif
    dunno.gif
    3.5 KB · Views: 148
  • thumbsdown.gif
    thumbsdown.gif
    146 bytes · Views: 146
  • explotar2jr.gif
    explotar2jr.gif
    22 KB · Views: 148
  • ihrotate.gif
    ihrotate.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 132
  • coffee.gif
    coffee.gif
    10.8 KB · Views: 144
  • confused.gif
    confused.gif
    473 bytes · Views: 138
  • shhh.gif
    shhh.gif
    666 bytes · Views: 138
Bryan and Rick
I guess the corrupted db file was a warning, about a week later the computer froze up, unable to do a ctrl. alt delete. Powered down, restarted and it ran another week then froze, never to start again. Had to put in a new Hard drive. Good thing I had everything backed up.

Richard, sorry to hear that your hard drive went bad. Good to hear that you had stuff backed up. I have multiple backups of most of my info. Regular backups are a very good idea, CD and DVD media is cheap.

Richard -

Ouch!! Might I suggest occasionally opening a command prompt and running a <font color="0000ff">chkdsk /f /r</font> (say to the prompt YES) then reboot and letting it do it's thing. If you notice increasing numbers of errors, you'll have a bit more heads up.

Kraig -

What, no sales pitch?
lol.gif

Attachments

• lol.gif
    lol.gif
    158 bytes · Views: 141
Bryan, if a hard drive goes bad backups are the only thing that'll save you. Now if you want protection from software failure.....Click here :eek:)

Kraig -

I thought you folks had a product that kept an offline copy of a hard drive. Perhaps "had" is the operative word...

Bryan, nope, perhaps you are thinking of a level 1 RAID setup?

Back