• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Walk behind garden tactors

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmuncie

displayname
Jerry Muncie
I'm in the process of restoring a Bolens Huski Gardener. I've never used it because it wasn't running when I bought it--one stuck valve and one bad valve guide. I bought it becuase it appears to be a well built machine and it came with a sickle bar, disc, plow, and cultivators. I figured it would be a good complement to my BCS 720 for handling cultivating, hilling, & furrowing duties and the whole outfit was a lot cheaper than a sickle bar for the BCS.

Now I may have a chance to get a Bolens Versa Matic which, near as I can tell, could be a better, more versatile machine than the Huski Gardener, although it doesn't have as much crop clearance for cultivating. I think I'm in danger of a new addiction.

I'm just wondering what experiences you all have with walk-behinds. What make and model have you used? What have you used them for? How did they perform?

Jerry

Jerry-

I've had a little experience with the well known Gravely walk/ride behind. I include ride here because of the sulky for mowing large areas. Tractors made in America are getting more and more rare and I love experiencing the "old" power. It's amazing how much power can be squeezed out of a 6.6 hp engine. In another 50 years I don't think there will be many left at all.

I'm not very familiar with the Bolens line but do know they were a well built machine. I think Bolens used a lot of Wisconsin engines.

Good luck with your new addiction.

wayne,we had a david bradley when i was a kid and did everything with it.it had a clinton engine.

I checked out the Bolens Super VersaMatic. It's in excellent condition and comes with a 42" sickle bar, disc, and cultivators. Has reverse, also--could be a nice feature.

There are also two Power Ho's, complete but disassembled for storage. They come with another 42" sickle bar and a set of cultivators. There's also a nice spare set of lug tires.

I think I'm going to buy the whole lot.

Jerry

Jerry-

How about some pics? I'd like to see these old garden beast.

Wayne,

No pictures of the Huski Gardener because it's apart for rebuild right now. Here are pictures of the cultivator, disc, and sickle bar and a picture of the tractor from the sickle bar manual.

216869.jpg

216870.jpg

216871.jpg

216872.jpg

I'm anxious to put it to use in the spring.

Jerry

Back