• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

? Voltage regulator on a 1250

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmeyer

displayname
Roger A. Meyer
Being new, I hope I posted in the corect forum.
I have an electrical background and will start out simple.

1) The lead to the B+ terminal broke or burnt off. When I take an ohmmeter All readings look like a diode reactions when I reverse the leads, except I get the a reading from B+ to the top AC terminal as a dead short. Is the module bad?

2) What voltage should I expect between AC and AC?

3) Is this a true regulator or just a bridge rectifier?
If it is a bridge rectifier, I can buy one from an electonic supply house for under $20 versus the $57-$80 I have seen online for the part.

The part is Kohler 41 403 01B.

Roger
There should be 28 VAC on the outside terminals from the stator at full engine RPM. I've never measured one but I suspect it is nothing more than a full wave bridge rectifier. If you have zero ohms I would agree it's shorted provided you have all the connections removed. If you find a cheaper replacement please share it with the forum on the main page IH Cub Cadet Forum.

Roger,

The 1250 is a IH Cub Cadet Garden Tractor, and the Main Forum (the first one on the page) is where you would want to post your questions. Also, for an upgrade click on the Kirk Engines business card at the top of the page. At the bottom of his page he has a link that you can replace that voltage regulator with one off a Mercury Outboard motor and it has the option to run a tachometer, if you have to replace the regulator, this could be a good opportunity to upgrade and be able to install a tach. I have been considering this for my 1450.

Thanks all. I found a 40 amp bridge rectifier in my shop and will install it this weekend. With 28VAC in I expect the output to be around 19.78VDC if my memory serves me correctly from electronics school. 19.7 is higher than I would like to run the system.
I will take voltage reading and report back in the main forum.

Back