• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Synthetic oil

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcmay

displayname
Dan May
Do any auto manufacturer recommend synthetic oil in their engines?

I purchase a new 2012 Chevy 2500 HD pick up with a 6.0 gas engine. The service manager told I had to use a oil with Dexos in it. If I don't GM could cancel my warrenty. The only oil I can find is synthetic oil that has dexos in it.

DALE - What the heck is Dexos? O-K, I googled it...
I had a '99 Chevy Lumina sedan w/3.1L V6 that came from the factory with synthetic oil in it. I used Mobil 1 full synthetic in it for 82,000 miles and traded it off. I suspect it's still running with 300,000+ miles on it. The engine was the best part of that car.

My '96 F250 had full synthetic oil in the transmission, transfer case & frt & rear drive axles from the factory.

My '06 Volvo S40 with the turbo-charged 2.5L in-line 5 cyl engine actually recommends Castrol synthetic oil in the manual, but I use Mobil 1 as do probably 75% of the owners in the US. Car has 133,000 miles and has NEVER burned a drop of oil.

So Yes, I would say most auto mfg's recommend full synthetic engine oil.

Fords std oil is semi synthetic. ....I use a boat load of it in my stuff.

When I bought my 2002 Chevy Silverado 1500 new from the dealer, I changed the first oil change to Mobil 1 - the corvettes came from the factory with Mobil 1 at that time (I figured if the vettes came from the factory with Mobil 1 they knew something), I currently have 261,000 miles on the engine and it is still going strong - I just went to Colorado (2000 mile round trip) and no problems.

My 94 Chevrolet Caprice with LT1 engine is stamped right on the oil fill cap to use Mobil 1 synthetic

Dexos is GM's specification synthetic oil. Any oil meeting the Dexos spec is labeled so and also I am sure GM is getting licensing fees. My 2012 Malibu requires Dexos rated oil. They don't come out right and say the warranty will be voided but they infer it. The Magnuson-Ferguson act my have something to say about that.

Back