• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Suggestions, Opinions, or Gripes

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwittman

displayname
Brian Wittman
As long as we are talking about Mag 18s, I am getting ready to install a Mag 18 into my basket case 782. I like the idea of having the enhanced oiling system and an oil filter; as opposed to the
series one (which runs!), I hope I am correct with this.

Is there a way to install a gauge or an indicator light to monitor the oil pressure for this engine, and what might be the correct pressure for it?

M18 oil pressure. There is a 1/16" MNPT tap right above the oil filter base, beside the dip stick, that should have an idiot light sensor installed in it with a 1/16" x 1/8" adapter. Idiot light goes on right around 5 psi. You can tee in an oil pressure sending unit (electric gauge) our use COPPER tubing to pipe in a mechanical gauge (don't use the nylon tubing on an air cooled, especially so close to the exhaust manifolds). Add a compression union near the fire wall to allow for future engine removal.

301307.jpg

Cold oil will produce 50-65# oil pressure on my tractors (M18 and M20), very hot (summer mowing) the M18 holds 25-30 at WOT and 10-15 at idle...it's got a ton of hours on it.....M20 drops to 40 hot WOT and 20 at idle.

The oil lines and mag are worth it to get smooth vibration free power and full pressure lube to EVERYTHING.....

Bad Mag:

My loader with the M18 would start to fart and miss when hot, got really bad when I would load a trailer full of dirt and then come back 10 min later after dumping. Plenty of liquid gas at carb (not vapor locking) and iffy spark lead me to the coil replacement. Oil leak and need to split the case lead me to the accidental discovery of the burn piston. Isn't too bad, but I don;t feel like putting all of the effort into tearing it down without fixing it...it is all the way down to the first ring grove...

301308.jpg

301309.jpg

This is how I made sure the main governor shaft didn't back out on the last one I worked on...right or wrong, I drilled a hole for an 1/8" roll pin through the case and part way into the shaft. Left if long on the odd case I would eve have to pull it back out.

301310.jpg

<font size="+1">So we're starting out 2016 OFF TOPIC????????</font>

If that's what you guys want, let me know and I'll make other arrangements to accommodate your wishes!

I've never poofed a post that was informative!

I guess my point is, and I'd like to ask everyone here!

WHY is it that I have to continually remind ALMOST everyone about the same dang thing, almost on a weekly basis, when we have the right Topics elsewhere??

Use this topic only for discussion about IH Garden Tractors and Equipment built prior to 1981.

Believe me, I visit many other forums on a daily bases and NOWHERE but her is the issue such a problem!

I JUST DON'T GET IT!
Other than it's just to see how far and IF I'll let it go.

FILL ME IN GUYS AND GALS. ((Feel free to email me if you don't want to post a reply.))

2 days into the new year and the A$$HOLE in me rears it's ugly head once again!

Charlie,

I apologize for asking the question, as posted above.

Sincerely,

Brian Wittman

It's a few days late but Happy New Year to ALL!!!!!

Charlie - thanks for all you do to keep this site going. In response to the off-topic postings and why does it continue to happen almost weekly? I suspect because many of the members on here have units from both sides of the 1981 split, and the units have a lot of similarities so it just keeps happening. I get a sense you don't like to post your rant about it. I hate to say this but have you thought of some type of automatic penalty - blocking the member for a day or maybe a week? But maybe you could also provide some "get out of jail" free posting cards, just in case the info is kinda helpful.

Just delete any posts about 82 series or Kohler/Onan twins, even if built prior to 1981.

That's stupid James. My 782 was built proudly by IH. It deserves to be on this board too.

If we go that route. Let's delete all posts about Originals. You know cause they really have nothing mechanically similar to the std WF or NF tractors...
fence.gif

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

My 782 was built proudly by IH. It deserves to be on this board too.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

I couldn't agree more. Discussions about re-powers should also be accepted.

Repowered IH 82 series? Easier than building a miniature Wheatland!

301339.jpg

And yes, she's Louisville pedigreed.

301340.jpg

IH built X82 as well as MTD.......that's the concern/issue/problem, a name on a serial number plate drives the posting section it belongs in.

You could buy a red X82 with IH all over it made in Cleveland....and you can own a red X82 with Chicago on the plate with a Mag18 in it, installed by a dealer in 1993 when the KT17 let loose in the ditch.

Significant/Insignificant differences between a 1981 782 and an 1811? Ignition type, pressure lube, AL rear end, steering gear worm, wiring harness and color........many of these changes MAY have been on IH drawing boards BEFORE the 1981 sale and implemented by MTD, just as IH would have. Remember IH phased out the F Cub and Lo-Boy in part because their casting molds were getting to end of life cycle...who's to say IH wouldn't have put an AL trans in a 782 in 1983????

My point, without rambling any more, is that the IH build date may and IMHO often does cause posting confusion (it just happened a few posts down "EDIT: Also, it might be best to start a new thread on the 982 in the CCC/MTD section."

Thought.........for consideration by management.......change 1981 to "Original through Quiet Line" and add all 82 series to the "82 series and MTD board".........this would let the physical properties of the equipment drive the forum board and not a mid production "manufacturer" date.

Just my $.02 on the subject......

Mr. Plow,
Very well said.
To put my two cents in, I think if there is an IH emblem on the front grill it should be on the main forum. That should clear things up.
snacks.gif

Shultzie - I don't think that would fix it either. I understood CCC got to use the IH emblem for awhile, and sold 82 series units with the CCC frame tag and an IH emblem on the front grill.

CCC didn't get to "use" the IH logo. Rather IH licensed CCC to make Cub Cadets on their behalf until the sale of the Ag Division to Tenneco in 1985. Many of the early CCC machines are all IH parts, bought as production inventory.

Red Cub Cadets were only sold at IH dealers.....necessitating the yellow and white versions for the Cub Cadet franchised dealers.

I don't see any problem with Steve's post. It's an answer to a question. Our machines are getting old and it seems more typical to re-power engines. How do you know Steve didn't re-power that 582 or 782 in his profile? It's not known if it's an IH built or a CCC build. Maybe we shouldn't post pictures of modifications done to these tractors either? Maybe we shouldn't have sponsors that supply us with modifications either? Why? Because it's not IH built????
confused.gif

People are probably getting afraid to post in retaliation. That's probably why no one is posting lately. I know; I've received it myself in the past. Until now, I've been more so a lurker.

Perhaps someone still has a bad New Years hangover!
roflol.gif

I like Steve's idea, the 82 series/MTD board, or maybe 82 series thru Cyclops, since they're on the same frame (although I don't know if that would end up excluding a lot of MTD conversation?) I've got a red 782 and a yellow/white 782 (built out of IH parts) and I enjoy reading the posts about repowers, upgrades, mods, and repairs on them. I do think separating them from O through Quietline would clear things up.

I've got a better idea than any of you!

How bout all you guys get together, pay me EXACTLY what I paid Bob for this forum and I'll get the hell out and everyone can do what you want when ever you want!

I turned down a lot of money a while back for this place to keep it alive and the way it was. I wish now I would have taken it and ran like hell!!!!!!!

Retaliation?
1a_scratchhead.gif
biggrin.gif

Under Edit!
I'll rephrase the offer thing for ya,
I'll take a LOT less than I paid for it!!!!!!!

I actually like Charlie's idea. Sad to say however, I know cabin fever has "set in' once again. Everyone is a little edgy.EVERYONE must remeber the reason that it has existed for as long as it has is the following of the basic rules originally setup when the Forum began.If I could afford to buy this site from Charlie... I would. Would I change any of his rules? Not one chance in H***!

With that just stated... Everyone have a SAFE and wonderful day. Enjoy life and quit trying to always "tweak" things to fit your lifestyle unless it is something that you own.
happy.gif

Latest posts

Back