• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Starter Switch Question

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wshytle

displayname
Wayne Shytle
I bought a starter switch for my Gravely and when I got home I notice the hidden part of the enclosed info says 6 volt. The Gravely is a 12 volt system but only for starting; there is no charging system for the battery. Will this switch suffice for this application or should I expect a quick burn out? I will add the Gravely starts very fast every time in the first or second revolution.

I think I'll just wait for suggestions (or warnings) until I install it. It cost about $13 so it might be worth getting a 12 volt if they even have them. I don't see why they couldn't put 6 volt on the front of the package. This happens all of the time when I buy something.

Thanks in advance....Wayne

WAYNE - Most 6V electrical components have heavier conductors, contacts, etc than 12V's since the voltage is less so the current flow has to be so much greater, roughly double. The voltage rating comes from the insulation used and it's resistance break-down.

IMHO, a 6V starter switch should work fine in an intermittant application.

Is the switch in question the push-button style similar to the old dimmer switches when they were mounted of the floor of cars/trucks?

Thanks Dennis-

Here's the info and switch; it should answer your question.

195643.jpg

It is only in use a couple of seconds each time. I could actually do the old screwdriver trick across the poles because the tractor starts so easily and quickly. I don't want to have to look for an old screwdriver each time so.....

WAYNE - I'd like to say that new switch will last as long as the old one but....well.... I'll just say it will work FINE on 12V. It looks like the same switch that's been used on several HUNDRED Thousands of H's & M's, Not sure why the card says mostly only the "O" series. In a WD-6, I think it was also used on a 12V system, but maybe that's just the Super WD-6, anyhow TWO BIG batteries and they sometimes didn't start real well and that switch didn't suffer a melt-down.

Lots of those old FARMALL's have been converted to 12V alternators with just the generator being swapped for the alternator, the voltage regulator being removed, the battery, light bulbs & coils changed, but the starter & switches kept the same.

Following what Dennis said, I was told, when I was a kid, that you could convert from 6v to 12v, but not the other way around because the 6v system was heavier.(Wiring and non specific parts.) It worked on my 46 chev. PU.

Wayne, That switch is also for 9N Ford..I have seen a couple 9Ns converted to 12 volt and that switch was left in place. Started for years without a problem..

Latest posts

Back