• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Sears Suburban 10

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsdrake

displayname
Billy Drake
This is a thread I will try and update from time to time. Through a certain series of events I won't get into on here, I have acquired my Grandfather's Sears Suburban 10. I am not exactly sure when he purchased this tractor, but I do know it was before 1970, because he died in 1970.

It has never left the family since it was purchased new. My uncle obtained the tractor some time after my grandfather died, and in that time he managed to blow up the original 10 horse Tecumseh that was on it. He replaced it with an 8 HP Briggs.

When it came to me, it would run but did not move. I jerked the trans axle out of it, fixed a stuck shift fork, replaced a broken spring on the shift lever, and stuffed it back it. I had to repair a broken clutch spring also. After a couple of days, it now runs and moves. The engine does need a few things, it runs but needs to be mostly choked to stay running. I think a good carburetor cleaning, new plug, and fresh oil will fix the engine. I also need to adjust the clutch, and fix the ignition switch.

I would love to restore this tractor, since it was my Grandfather's. I think the 8 HP Briggs will have to stay, since finding a pull start Tecumseh that would be correct for this tractor will be almost impossible to find. Here are a few pics of it:
303133.jpg

303134.jpg

303135.jpg

303136.jpg

303137.jpg

This tractor was originally a pull start; back then, electric start was an expensive option, so grandpa opted for the cheaper pull start. I also have the original deck for this tractor; it is in good shape yet. I will post more updates for it as I get things done. If you have any questions, I will do my best to answer them. Thanks for stopping by!

Charlie-

I agree, the years (and my uncle) have not been kind to it. I am honestly surprised it still moves at all. What boggles my mind is how my uncle, who has been a mechanic for YEARS, managed to blow up the original Tecumseh! Like them or not, those old cast iron ones were well made, and it takes a complete lack of care to blow them up. Now, I have to fix 40+ years of "jimmy rigging". At least when I'm done, it should be nice.

Mike-

Although I love my 108, this tractor means a great deal to me. I can remember being 5 years old, and seeing this tractor, and wanting to ride it so bad. I was never allowed to, but now that it's mine, I can do whatever I choose to do with it. It will take some time, but I would like it to look good again. The next issue I will tackle is adjusting the clutch, as it will grind gears if you try to change them at higher RPM's.

So yeah, this will be a special project. This is about all I have left of my grandfather that I can legitimately lay claim to, so I want to do this right
happy.gif

I hear you Billy! I have a rusted out toolbox, hammer, and verticle shaft Sears lawn tractor from my maternal grandfather(and my name!) It is sitting waiting for my time, $$$, and attention. I had 2 of those Suburbans, a 16 HP overhead valve Tecumseh, and 16 HP Onan twin. Tecumseh ran great, Onan lacked compression in one cylinder. I'll try and offer any help I can. Keep up the good work
biggrin.gif

Billy, very cool that you have taken ownership of your grandfather's old Sears GT. I will be following this. I grew up riding Cub Cadets but for some reason I always like the Sears GTs. Probably because we always got Sears catalogs. My two favorites were the Christmas "Wish Book" catalog and the Spring "Farm and Ranch" catalog. I would drool over all the garden implements, the loader and the optional ag tires.

These may or may not be helpful:

Sears GT Manuals 1

Sears GT Manuals 2

Earl,

While cleaning up around the house, I've noticed that on a few of the stones on the walkways we have, I've found where he carved his initials into them. He and I share the same initials, WSD, so this whole experience has been surreal for me. I will put all I have into this one.

Kraig,

Thank you for digging those up for me! They sure came in handy today. If grandpa did purchase any implements to go along with this tractor, they are long gone. I do not remember the Sears catalogs, as by the time I came along, they were pretty much gone, thanks to the advent of the internet. But, Dad tells me about them sometimes.

I did spend a few minutes on it today, it rained part of the day and I had to fix my brothers MTD Huskee (it needed a coil- no big deal), but the rain kinda limited what I could do. Using the manuals Kraig gave me, I determined that I need a new drive belt, but that is to be expected. Next, I am going to fix the kill switch, and clean out the carburetor. I will post pics of my progress!

Thanks Jeff. I can't wait to get started on it! I'm just trying to get it running/ driving before I start tearing it down. I want to see if the project is worth pouring a ton of money in or not. I think it is, since it has come quite a ways with what little I have done to it.

I have to say in your search for parts, especially transaxle, it was used closely into the early 90's. I am not 100% positive, but I've looked and my memory tells me they were the same. Not a side by side comparison though. I hate to say it, but I passed on that exact tractor last May. Engine half torn apart and stuck from head missing. Was a Tecumseh. Electric start though. I believe yours is from about 67. I've seen many here in the Midwest.

Any of the attachments are difficult to find. Your lucky you still have the deck!

Hi Earl,

I'm pretty sure you are right about the year. It would also make sense. Though I wish this was an electric start, I am kind of glad it isn't, since it will allow me to focus more on making it look good than focusing on electrical stuff.

I know parts are hard to come by, but I have heard trans axles are not too hard to find, mostly because they used them for so many years, I assume. The trans axle is in great shape, it has all the gears and the hi-low range works. I still have issues with the engine to sort out, but that won't be too bad.
You shouldn't have passed on that Sears! I bet even parting it out you could have made your money back.

Considering how badly my uncle took care of this tractor, you are absolutely right, I am very fortunate to still have the deck. All of the spindles still turn freely as well, so I am assuming this thing could still mow, theoretically, anyway.

I have been thinking about something though: I don't know how feasible this would be, but I have thought about replacing that 8 HP Briggs with a pull start 10 HP Kohler. The 10 horse on my 108 does anything I ask of it, and I like how easy they are to work on. Parts are also, surprisingly more affordable. A carburetor rebuild kit for this Briggs is almost 50 bucks from Briggs, and it isn't much cheaper on greed bay. However, carb kits for those Kohlers are cheap.

More so than cheap parts, what else would it take to do the conversion??

I'll be out in the shed tomorrow and take a pic. You need a base(oil pan) that will bolt onto frame. I have a k321(14hp) that has a similar base, flat. Bolt holes may be an issue for alignment. Find one from a stand alone piece of equipment, pump, generator, etc. Or even a Case, but send me the rest of tractor if you do that! I also have a 75 Case 220 k241(10hp) that's where the 14 is going. Another thing is the crankshaft. You need to match original pulleys with it. Find an engine out of a gear drive JD like a 210 would work, but maybe not the JD oil pan

Billy, also checkout auctions, that's where I find most tractors. Read descriptions carefully, look at pics carefully. You'd be surprised at what comes out, but reserve most of day for that, its time consuming. And you may have to drive a ways.

Hi Earl,

Thank you for the suggestions, they are very much appreciated. The oil pan may be a problem, as I am not sure how big the hole in the frame is, if there is even one at all. Like I said, I've never messed with one of these before. I will look at it and see. Engine alignment does also concern me a bit; although I doubt that the 8 horse Briggs and original Tecumseh had exactly the same bolt patterns. They could have, but highly unlikely. I think my uncle made this engine work, since it was one he most likely picked up for cheap. So, since it has already been modified, I may as well put something on there that I can be confident in, right?

This engine looks like it has a 1" crank (though it could be 3/4- i'll have to check), do you know how big they are typically are on a Kohler? If I can pick one up that has the same shaft size as the 8 horse, then I won't have to hunt for pulleys.

Also, stuffing a Kohler in this means I will have to find a new hood, since the air cleaner assembly will face the front of the tractor. I'm sure you saw what he did to the original. There have been quite a few times I've shook my head and wondered why he did things the way he did.

The sad part about all of this is he used to be a fantastic mechanic. He could fix almost anything. But seeing the neglect and flimsy fixes he did to this kind of irritates me. Thanks again!

I don't think the air cleaner will be a huge deal. Depends entirely on which engine you would use and the air cleaner assembly that it has or you use if you take the custom route.

I don't have a 7-8hp available to measure, but I'll measure my 10hp. You might have to drill new holes in frame, or not depending on the oil pan. Once you see the pictures I think you'll get a better understanding of the flat oil pan.

I want to say the shaft sizes are 1" and 1.125" I'll check mine tomorrow. I'm going to have to dig through my parts shed, I may have a drive pulley still.

Hi Earl,

Drilling new holes in the frame won't be a big deal. I'm sure to make the 8 horse fit my uncle did the same thing.

What does have me a bit nervous is the oil pan. But I will wait for your pics to reserve judgement. Thanks again!

Billy,

I have seen Sears tractors pop up for sale from time to time while looking for cubs. I have seen attachments also (plows, discs, etc.). You have to keep a constant lookout on C.L.

I have, what has been told to be the last two Sears catalogs that came out. I think one is the wish book. They are supposed to be around here somewhere.
coffee.gif

Latest posts

Back