• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Search Lesson?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fclements

displayname
Frank Clements
I recently joined this forum due to an issue I'm having with my 1996 HDS 2155.

I have tried searching for my problem and am confused on how to use the search engine. I need to troubleshoot why my engine (Kohler 15hp) suddenly dies after approx. 8 minutes of mowing. It will crank but will not start because there is no spark. Obviously something is opening-up when it gets hot.

It will start right up as soon as the engine is cold and I can then mow for an additional 8-10 minutes, it heats up and dies once more.

I have searched but am a little confused about how the search engine works. Either I get zero hits or thousands of hits. Then when I look at one of the resulting posts, it is difficult to find the original post to determine if that post addresses my problem.

Looking for help and thanks in advance to any advice...either on the search or the "hot engine - shutdown issue".

Frank

188376.gif

188377.gif

Kweaver,

Thanks the reply. I agree that it sounds like the coil/magneto is faulty, but it occurs to me that I should also check the signal into the coil?

I got a printout of the electrical system from my local CC dealer and no where does it show what triggers the coil. Looking at the engine, there appears to be a Hall-Effect sensor (long and thin aluminun-colored piece with 2 wires to it) bolted to the engine housing close to the flywheel that could be the signal that triggers the coil/magneto to fire the plug. I will trace the wires to confirm this. Am I correct about this?

Thanks for your expertise.

Frank

Frank - OK , I don't have your copy of the diagram (I'll gladly accept it in an email) so I didn't think about it not having the old coil.

From experience with cars = if the pick up is real dirty the sensor may not work. Check the flywheel too.
Then check safety switches to be sure they are working. (May need to <u>temporarily</u> by-pass them) Make sure you don't have the PTO on.

I guess you have the EPA carb also that has the electric shutoff for the fuel flow. Remember that , if someday you have a fuel problem.

Latest posts

Back