• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Rear Wheel Weights for our Cub Cadets

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tturner

displayname
Tyler Turner
219521.jpg

I recently aquired a 1650 with these weights on it. I have never seen any quit like these. I was wondering if anyone knew who made these. They are nice weights... Probably 45 pounds a piece. It is really nice that they are recessed into the wheel so you dont have to worry about them sticking out. There are no identifying characters I can find. Thanks, Tyler

TOM - From pic's of Bolens tractors I've seen I would agree with you 100%.

TYLER - There have been a few sets of other weights I've seen that recess into the smaller dia. portion of the 12" rear wheels on garden tractors, I have a set and Steve B had a set that I think he sold to Wyatt Compton several yrs ago. I also think they came from a Bolens tractor, they were something around 20-22# each. Right now I have that set buried under two pair of IH 26# weights on the 982.

It's interesting to track the history of wheel weights. I bought my first set when I was about 16 yrs old at a farm auction I went to with my buddy from HS, think I paid $5.50 for the pair. They were on the hay rack, absolutely NO paint on them, no hardware, so they must have been old even back in 1970. They look exactly like the JD solid weights, about 40-42# each. I have NO idea what they would have been off of but they were on the 70 the next afternoon all painted up till I bought my #72 in '81 and then they've been on there ever since.

Tyler, can you post a pic of the front side of these weights? I was going to post a pic of mine, but my weights are frozen together in a stack on a pallet behind the garage. These may indeed be Bolens weights, but I wonder if they're being mistaken for a different style of Bolens weight. I have a set of each.

These are completely flat on the front and fill the rim all the way to the bead seat. My other Bolens weights have a similar concave back but the others have a more contoured front with radiused edges and a bit of dish to the center. IIRC, those only have two bolt holes. This style looks like someone the Rowe 80# weights sold by CC dealers in the '80s and cut them off flush with the edge of the rim. My set came from a CC wide frame--don't remember what model but most likely a 1x8/1x9. I've always suspected they were a universal fit that may have been marketed through various brand dealers like I believe the row weights were.

Jerry

Latest posts

Back