• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Pulling an engine out of a 982

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edale

displayname
Everett Dale
I need to pull the Onan engine out of my 982. I've got the fuel line disconnected, the drive shaft pulled out, and I pulled all the bolts (4?) that connect the engine to the frame.

Now what? It's to heavy to lift by hand, and I don't see how to lift it out with an engine hoist. Assuming I want to use my hoist, how would you recommend I attach it. I can't sling it from below, and I don't see any lift points. Do I need to pull tin and sling it from the cylinder heads?

Help!

-everett

Everett, I have an Onan in my Allis Chalmers, my service manual says to use a long belt wrapped around the drive pulley over the engine and around the PTO pulley. I used two mower deck drive belts from my Cub Cadet. Not sure what is on the flywheel side on your 982 but some setup like this might work for you.

188990.jpg

You wouldn't believe how strong belts are ! The old fellers at the steel shop lift full length steel with them on the overhead crane.

Ken, I wonder what OSHA thinks of that? Can you tell that I pulled the Onan to fix an oil leak? It's MUCH cleaner now.
proud.gif

188997.jpg

There is no pulley on the back side of the engine just the shaft with the flexible connecting disc (what are those called again?) I should be able to get the engine out like that tho'. If I'm careful.

Thanks

-everett

Everett, I believe those flexible discs are referred to as a "rag joint". Are there any threaded bolt holes in the flywheel? There should be for use to pull the flywheel off and to attach pulleys and such. If so you could bolt a lift point of some sort on.
dunno.gif

I'm glad Kraig posted those pictures. Ken would'a just told you to wrap a rope around the carb and start pullin...

I don't think I would have lifted it by the carb even if I was assured that it was the best way
happy.gif
I did get it out today with a bit of heavy rope around the front pulley and the bolts that hold the "rag joint" together. I did have to pull the front off the tractor to make enough room.

Thanks everyone.

-everett

Back