• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Problems with a 782

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweinacht

displayname
Scott Weinacht
I have a red 782 that after about an hour the engine starts to surge and then it dies. I let it cool off and it’s ok for an hour. What is wrong with it?

Scott W: Check your fuel system....The surging is likely caused by the governor trying to goose the rpms because of low rpm from fuel starvation. If it were mine, I'd begin with, and probably replace, the fuel pump. Also make sure the vent in the gas cap is not plugged up. A plugged vent can also cause a fuel starvation problem.

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

Also make sure your not getting fuel in your crankcase oil, KT's are known for doing that when the fuel pump fails, very toxic for the bearings. I agree with Myron, replace the fuel pump and see what she does. My 682 did the same thing when its fuel pump died, you could remove the line from the pump to the carb and the fuel would just dribble out of the pump, it should squirt in pulses when the motor is cranked over.

Thanks for the replies; I changed the gas cap with one from another mower. I wonder if it has a bad vent or not one at all.

Scott W: You know, you should really get yourself a service manual for your tractor. It tells all about such things as fuel pumps. Click on the colorful Binder Books sponsors box above and you can get one.

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

Back