• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Problem removing one of the mower blades on 50C deck

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgalante

displayname
Stephen Galante
I have removed the mower blades on my 50C deck probably 50 times in the past.

Today I tried to remove the blades to sharpen them. I used my normal method of using a 2x4 to prevent each blade I was removing to prevent it from spinning. When I got to the last blade (an outer blade, not the center one) I couldn't seem to get the nut off. The threaded spindle is turning with the nut. I tried using some penetrating oil to try to loosen it and even tried heat with my propane torch. Nothing seems to allow me to loosen it. I am currently trying to let penetrating oil sit over night.
If that doesn't work, I was wondering if there is another trick to try? I thought that maybe, it might work if I try to loosen it while having a wrench on the nut under the top cover. Kind of hard to do by myself since I don't have a way to currently suspend the deck upright. Before I break anything, if the penetrating oil doesn't work, is my thought process of holding the #10 (in the picture) nut under the cover while I attempt to loosen the #2 nut (in the picture) a viable solution.

As always, Thank you in advance.
314231.jpg

Are you using an impact gun? That's how I take them off. On my 44a and 50c decks. All I have to do is grab hold of the blade with a gloved hand. I just did it yesterday in fact. Otherwise using just a wrench is fairly difficult in my opinion.

Earl, I was just using a long 1 1/8" box end wrench. I have used an impact wrench in the past. I misplaced the socket I usually use, so I relied on the box end wrench. Actually, this wrench is about 15" long. It is the wrench designed for removing trailer hitch balls. I didn't have a problem with the first 2 nuts. Before I wrote the original post, I had even tried putting one of the other blades back on so that I could use 2 pieces of wood to prevent the blades from turning. If I can locate my 1 1/8" socket tomorrow, and the penetrating oil doesn't do the job, I may try the impact wrench. I just don't want to cause damage to the spindle since I really need to cut my grass and can still do so without removing the blade I am having issues with.
Still would like to know if my other idea would work if the penetrating oil and/or impact wrench fails.

Back up wrench on the top pulley will work. You can also try squeezing the belt tighter around the pulley (more contact area) with a quick grip type clamp on the belt just to the center of the deck.

Heat would be the last thing I used, good way to ruin a bearing seal/bearing.

Last one I had that was that stubborn, I am fortunate to have a friend with a big impact gun that didn't even try and it came off. Without the socket, Steve's suggestion for a backer wrench is key. I did ruin a bearing once trying his belt suggestion. Penetrating oil will most definitely help. Good luck!

...Ever since I got cordless impacts, mower blades have been a non issue.......before that the CP734 air tool took them off, but why drag out the hose.....

Yep, impact with 750ft/lb in reverse does the trick. Otherwise you might get a big wrench or crescent wrench on the nut and wack it with a hammer.

But putting more pressure on the belt will need to be done to stop it from spinning.

Stephen: I've used two wrenches to good effect. I think I leaned the deck up against a wheel barrow or something and/or stood over it balancing it between my legs. I think one nut is 1-1/4" and the other is 1-1/8"; I also may have used a socket with a 24" breaker bar on one of the nuts. Depending on the model, I've also used the provision for locking the spindle in place; some pulleys have a hole in them and an alignment tool can be inserted to catch a bolt or hole in the bearing body or deck. I think the last is intended to help one get the pulley off, but it works for a blade too, if you're resourceful.

I also second Nic's suggestion of a BFH, or "swing arm press" to shock the nut loose.

I haven't yet used an impact wrench on mower deck; I might consider using one to loosen the nut, but I would still use a (torque) wrench to put it back on.

I did try it with my big 1 1/8" box end wrench after letting the penetrating oil sit overnight, and the spindle was still turning with the nut.

Another night and a new 1 1/8" socket on my impact wrench and it came off without a hitch. There was a bunch of old dried out grass clippings under the top cover that may have been impeding it also. Cleaned those out and cut my grass with no problems. Will probably replace the long belt under the top cover soon, since it may be a little stretched out.
I DID NOT use the impact wrench to to tighten the nuts, since that may tighten them too much. Used my trusty large box end wrench to tighten the nuts.

Thank you again for all your help. You guys are the best.

If you do replace the long belt, be sure to check the spring loaded belt tensioner. Those like to rust tight and stubbornly refuse to pivot as designed sometimes. Just a hint that may save you problems later on. I remove the shoulder bolt that it pivots on and coat it with Never Seez or some heavy grease.

Anti seize on the blade spindles is a must.......

I install mine with the impact all of the time, but never "wail" on them.....just a few "burps" after it spins up......but I always keep the threads covered with anti seize as well......

Back