• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Problem maybe with testing PTO after replacing 1862 MTD

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bknight

displayname
William M. Knight (Bill)
I have replaced the PTO clutch on my 1862 MTD and thought before I reassembled the whole tractor That I would test it to be sure it would work. It does not turn when I lift the PTO switch. Should it turn? I don't have the belt on it or attachments. I have adjusted it with feeler gauge to .017. Any help appreciated.
The history is that I repowered about two years ago and this PTO came off the old engine. I used it to cut the lawn last Tuesday and as I was just about finished it started sounding funny and quit cutting. PTO actually started melting! Took it off and got new assembly put back on, but not sure if the clutch can be tested without complete reassembly of tractor, just thought I'd try. Don't see why it shouldn't be possible, but I sure don't know it all! LOL Do I have another problem? Bill

Bill - With the key in the ON posistion flip the switch and see if you can hear it pull in "SNAP". If not then your switch and possibly fuse would be next to test. You'll have to sit on the seat if you haven't bypassed the seat safety switch.

"It does not turn when I lift the PTO switch."
dunno.gif

You confuse me with that statement.
The PTO doesn't turn. The engine turns the pulley when ON but not unless the magnetic field pulls in the plate. The SNAP I mentioned.

Ken, Thank you so much. You nailled it for me I forgot about the safety switch. Worked like a charm with the weight in the seat. I'm tired and ought to know not to try to fix something when tired... It would also help if I was smarter too! LOL You folks on here are just the greatest! Thanks again, BIll

William M. Knight (Bill)
Can I ask what is not put together ? (but not sure if the clutch can be tested without complete reassembly of tractor ) so its probably not grounded and won`t work, Is that correct ? Don T

Dtanner, I wanted to test it before putting the heat shields back and the muffler and the grill. I also had the mowing deck off the tractor as well as the belts etc. The PTO was attached to the engine and the electical wire too. Hope this clears it up. Bill

Sorry, I guess I don't get it either as to why the confusion?!! I tested it with my weight in the seat and the PTO worked properly. Finished reassembly of the tractor and it worked fine. I thank you for the help. It was silly of me to forget the safety switch and that was the only problem.
I'd like to thank Scott Madson of "Madson's Service" I have bought parts for my Cubs from him and always had wonderful service. I ordered the part Wed. AM and it came in FridayP PM of the same week! Wisconsin and I'm in GA. Doesn't get any better...Thanks Scott. Hope it's OK to give him a plug! Bill
worthy.gif

I said that because nothing is ever clear to Don. He lives in a fog off the main land
1a_scratchhead.gif

Yea plug Scott all ya want , he's a sponsor and I've bought from him too.

Glad you got it fixed by "just sitting on it"
bash.gif

Latest posts

Back