• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Power steering install on a 149

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dschwandt

IHCC Supporter
displayname
David Schwandt
Figured I may as well start a tread on this project so it don't get lost in the shuffle on the main board.

Many thanks to Steve B. for his recent article in Cadet Connection Magazine for the inspiration.

1st off I am using a 1650 frame and hydro because it was handy at the time and already mostly disassembled for a mockup of the components needed to (hopefully) make this work. I reolaced the tower with one from a 109 and removed the PTO lift lever and mount as it will not be used in the 149 installation and the 109 tower was already devoid of the hydraulic lift components that will not be reinstalled on the 149 when the project nears this stage.

I must add at this point, this install may not work on a Quiet line Cub as the different layout for the hydro controls will more than likely require some changes. Thisbecame apparent right off the bat. so at this point, having a 109 tower (same as 149) handy, I chose to replace the 1650 piece rather than do a rework of it.

To be continued......

Finally got back to this project while the crummy weather is doing it's thing…..again...and again....

Have settled on using the cylinder mount as is from the donor Cub only changing slightly the way it is bolted to the frame. This approach will keep everything out of the way of the loader frame plus allow the cylinder to be in the correct orientation in regards to the spindle arm.

This will require drilling two 1/2" holes vertcally in the frame for the mount. I will also fab a "fish plate' for the inside for additional strength.

Here is the donor mount mocked in place on the 1650 mule using the lower rear hole (not present in the 149 frame rail) in the left rail that mirrors the same holes in the right rail utilized for the lift cylinder mount.

322854.jpg

This mount will be installed in the same area on the 149 and require two 1/2" holes. Everything should clear the loader frame at this point.

322855.jpg

The cylinder mount bolt will be in about the same orientation as the drag link bolt only outboard of the frame at this point.
Now I need to decide whether to leave the super steer axle, spindles and tie rod black or paint them yellow.

322856.jpg

I would have them black, it sticks out and people can see your work on adding the power steering.

Got the plumbing pretty well roughed in. Waiting on a 37 degree flare tool at present. Just a few more cuts to make and some flaring should take care of it.

That's the supply line from the pump coming in from the left and the 2 return lines going off on the right side. They will 'tee' into the main return line under the tunnel cover. This mod will not be nearly as crowded as Steve's because I am leaving off all the hydraulic lift pieces.

I still have to rig up additional support of some kind for the valve body. As pictured, it is more or less just sitting there on the crossmember. Plan was to weld the donor (yellow) part to the crossmember then bolt that to the frame as it is sitting but the weld nuts for the tower are in the way directly below the ends of it. I can weld on tabs with holes onto each end of it which will move the bolts to the rear and allow for a bolt on each end to secure it to the top of the frame rail, or I can fab a different mount all together. Decisions, deisions. I want the finished product to lool like it belongs there and not some "farmered up" "custom by cobble craft" assembly!!

322903.jpg

322904.jpg

322905.jpg

David - nice project. I didn't see Steve's article in Cadet Connection Magazine.

You mentioned you won't be using the hydraulic lift from the 149. Would it benefit you and provide more room and clearance if you removed the 2 lift arms? I know it's a pain to get those roll pins out on each arm, but if you leave them they will just be clanking around.

I'm also surprised with your comment about not wanting this to be some "farmered up" "custom by cobble craft". Aren't you located in Iowa? I always thought some of the best innovations we have came from farmers. Wouldn't "jury rigged" fit this better?

Just about got the mock up finished. About all that is left before I start the final install on the 149 is to section the steering column shaft and spilce it back together to alow for the length above the column tube for the wheel.

Got the brace for the tube made up and installed on the mule tower. The short section of column will have a wheel bearing in each end to stabilize the shaft within on both ends.

323366.jpg

Update: I reworked the P/S cylinder to frame mounting bracket and have it installed into the 149, as well as the steering sector and plumbing. Waiting for paint to dry at this point.

Acquired a pair of shorter steering knuckles for the super steer axle that will put the front end back down to near normal height.

Will hopefully get the engine back in this weekend.

Now, If I can just locate a decent fiberglass dash panel and grill nose piece We can button this project up for good, I hope!!

Next up, a light (48") material bucket for snow.

323573.jpg

323574.jpg

Had to rework the bracket to the cross member tp allow more clearance for the driveshaft once everything was installed in the 149.

This is the new bracket and where it's going to live.

323625.jpg

Here are couple more of the install now that it is up and running. I had to use different rims and tires than I originally installed as I learned those would rub on the knuckles. These are the ones that were on the donor Cub the P/S sector came from, hence the bad paint.

I'll have all winter to correct that though as well as round up another hood, dash panel and nose piece. Seems the guy that was going to paint those last few items for me has fallen off the planet.

So, that about wraps this up for now. Hope you folks enjoyed the project. I'm thinking a larger bucket for snow will not tax this unit at all. Going to start rounding up materials for it tomorrow. Looking forward to using it!

323629.jpg

323630.jpg

It looks amazing David. You have a lot to be proud of. If it runs as good as it looks you'll be set for a long long time.

Looks nice! Hopefully that overhang on the cylinder mount isn't too much. Looks like a pretty serious offset, and that flat plate is not going to handle torsion well.

The guy that was supposedly doing the body work and paint on the dash, the hood and the nose piece has apparently skipped the country with my parts and won't even answer my calls!!
So, I'm on the lookout for another dash, hood and nosepiece. But for that, the tractor is done and usable.
Matt, The plate the P/S cyl mounts to is thicker and bigger that the original one that was on the donor Cub. I had to drop it down some to clear the loader framework.

Quote"The guy that was supposedly doing the body work and paint on the dash, the hood and the nose piece has apparently skipped the country with my parts and won't even answer my calls!!
So, I'm on the lookout for another dash, hood and nosepiece. But for that, the tractor is done and usable. "

I'm not sure why but this same story is happening on 2 other forums I am part of. The worst was a custom truck that is basically ruined after the owner spent piles of money and time only to have a "so called business owner" destroy the dreams of the owners. Seems like the "authorities" should be able to intervene but they don't really do anything.

I hear Ya Mike.
And this guy is an "old car" guy to boot I have "known" for years. He wanted to trade what I needed done for parts from a car I parted last fall.

We keep getting snow like we have had twice now in less than a week, and I'm going to need that little loader and it's 48" bucket as I am running out of room to push the damn stuff!!

I was referring to that spacer. If I remember right, the OEM installation for that does not have a spacer between the heim joint and the bracket. I'd be concerned that the mounting bracket is going to twist because of the extra offset of the line of action of the hydraulic cylinder.

Latest posts

Back