• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stritle

displayname
Steve Tritle
I have had the reoccurring problem of the tractor running fine, then the next time I start it, I have to adjust the points to get it to go, as in there is no fire until I do. Why would this keep happening? I am tightening the screw has hard as I can. This is a PITA to do all the time.

Thanks.

What is the condition of your points? Are they burned, and that's what causing the gap to open up? If your condensor is bad, or has a bad connection, that will let the points arc.
If the faces of the points are not burned/pitted, and the point set is just slipping, the screw could be bottoming out on some crud in the tapped hole. I'm not familiar with the twin engines (I assume this is your 782, but since you didn't offer that, I'm just guessing), so I don't know if it's a through-hole or if it has a bottom. Is it the original screw, or a replacement that might be too long? Should there be a washer under the screw head? You could put a washer there and see if it allows the screw to bottom on the points instead of something in the tapped hole, then go from there. I'm guessing on the condensor with the little info you've given.

Yes, 782. Sorry about that.

I'll have to look at hte condition of the points. I am not as familiar with a points system, so this is all learning for me. My IHC 782 never needed the points adjusted in the 5 years I owned it.

Steve, I would buy a new set of points and a condenser they're inexpensive. I'd also replacement the rod that goes down into the block from the points.

Just order parts from one of the links above. New points and condenser are in order, and I happened upon a leaky head gasket. During the tear down to find my oil leak, I also notice a very small crack in the fuel line where the filter attaches, so I have replaced that as well.

Once my parts are replaced, I hope she is as good as new. I also figured out my oil burning problem: the exhaust valve guide is wore out. I can move the valve side to side quite a bit. The intake valve is solid, but the exhaust isn't.

Steve I had a tractor do the same thing to me one time. The push rod that pushes the points was wearing everytime I ran it. Mine had the aluminum rod in it . I replaced it with a steel push rod and have not had a problem with it since. It has been almost 3 years now. I would check the condition of the rod . If you remove the points and pull the rod out check to see if it sticks a bit when you remove it. Good chance it may have a bur rolled on the end of the rod caused by the rod to getting shorter {wearing}everytime you run it. If the rod wears .015-.020 everytime you run the tractor soon it wont run at all. Hope this helps cause I was down this road before

Latest posts

Back