• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Planning for Christmas gifts

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcbusch

displayname
Terry Busch
I am putting my Christmas list together and I have a question about torches. I would like to get a torch for light duty cub cadet type work. Heating things up that get stuck and cutting things off that are too long.

Has anyone used this type of torch?
32123.jpg

$299
Includes:
Torch handle
Cutting attachment and tip
Welding nozzle
12 1/2-ft. hose
Goggles
Striker
Acetylene key
One 20 cu.ft.”R” oxygen cylinder
One “MC” acetylene cylinder
Oxygen & acetylene regulators
Check valve
Tough polypropylene carrier

How many cutting minutes would you get? How many heating minutes would you get?

or

Would it be better to get this for $164 but add over $200 for tanks. I think this might be overkill. I am also very limited on storage space.
32124.gif

Terry- You might want to check with a local welding supplier and find out what they charge to fill the cylinders if you own them versus leasing them from the supplier. Personally I would go with the larger tanks because it seems like the small ones always go empty when you are in the middle of something and no one is open to fill or exchange the cylinder.

Terry B:

I have that exact Oxy/Acet outfit as you have pictured. I used this torch set in my HVAC/R business. I use this primarily because it is light to carry around, especially when you have to carry it to a rooftop. I use it primarily for welding and brazing. I do have a Cutting Handle but seldom use it. I have never measured the amount of time those size of tanks last. My best guess, if you were cutting, with full tanks, you would probably get 15 minutes. Welding/Soldering/Brazing, you would get a lot longer. I carry extra tanks on the Van when I run out. Again, this is only used for the purpose of ease of mobility. I would not use this size if it were in my shop. I would go to the more traditional size. I don't know what your intended use is, but this size might be OK if you are only doing very ocasional torching. If you need additional information, please contact me.
happy.gif

Terry, even my wife Kate rents the big oxygen tanks for her oxypropane glass torch setup. She owns a small oxygen tank like those and it lasts her only around 4 hours depending on whether she is using an oxidizing or reducing flame (which causes colored glass to change colors). The big tank lasts her a couple of weeks at least, and she only uses it evenings and weekends.

You can see the tank in the background -- she is making marbles here I think.

32132.jpg

Terry.
Go with the bigger tanks, you will kick yourself if you don't.
I have had the medium size tanks from my gas supplyer and they last me almost 2 years on a fill and I do a lot of cutting and heating of stuburn parts.

Back