• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Old family (IH) photo

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve, great photos!!! I think these are worthy of being posted in a higher resolution. Any chance you could email me the full resolution versions? If so I'll post them at a higher but still reasonable resolution.
happy.gif

STEVE - I tried counting rolling coulters in the one pic, one must have been hiding! Seven bottoms would make more sense, 4010 is good for four, 88 OLiver would play with three. Back in that era there really wasn't a seven bottom tractor, except something like the 8010/8020 JD & 4100 or 4300 IH.

The BTO that farmed the 320 acres across the road from our house for a couple years had a 1206, but all I ever saw him do with it was disk in weed killer with a 24 ft disk, he never plowed the 320 with it so I don't know if he pulled 6 or 7 bottoms.

The spring of '68, That BTO traded MY Super H at the IH dealer for a new 756 w/Nuess diesel, and either the week before or after bought a 4020 WFE, factory cab, and Power Shift. He'd only used the Super H to pull a brand new IH 4 row corn planter similar to the one you showed hooked to the 504, the spring of '55. in '56 he bought a brand new 300 to pull it, needed the T/A for some hills!

Anyhow, spring of '68 he plowed that 320 with the 756 & 4020 both pulling IH #60 or #70 4-14 plows. They plowed in circles, not lands, so had to round off the corners every couple rounds. The 756 was so much faster with it's plow than the 4020 that he rounded the corners off, then would set sail and would catch the 4020 in 4-5 rounds and start rounding corners again. He pulled a new IH 6-row planter with the 756, then cultivated the corn 2-3 times with a frt mounted cultivator similar to the one you showed on the 560. We saw that 756 a LOT that summer.

Unfortunately, that 4020-D w/power shift was the first of MANY green tractors on that farm. Not sure what ever happened to the 756, but a HS buddy of mine has bought & restored the 1206 and it sits in his shop most of the time, but I understand he does get it out to stretch it's muscles occasionally.

BILL J. - You need to take a road trip! Down by Steve B's farm, the ONLY hills are from the Interstate Overpasses. There will be some freindly little hills, but nothing that would tip a tractor over. About 100 miles north of Steve's farm we had more and bigger hills, on the 80 the Folk's own, there's one hill on the very back by the creek that I would NOT want to run along the length of that hill, only up or down the hill. You get 3-4 miles away from that farm and either the ground gets really flat, or even hillier. But for the most part it's ALL farmed, corn & beans. 30-40 yrs ago there used to be a lot of farmers raising hogs, they're almost all gone now. My Mom's tenant for the 80 acres custom feeds 4800 head of hogs a year in a brand new confinment system. Biggest year Dad ever had was farrowing & raising 800 head of hogs, plus 40-50 head of cattle. We eat a LOT of pork in our family.

Kind of a neat comparison.

Plow Day V8.0 October 30, 2004:

283192.jpg

Steve's photo of when the neighbors helped plow.

283193.jpg

Some more in a higher resolution.

Steve, I'm guessing some here will want to know what the cat's name is. And what's up with the muffler on the 656?

283195.jpg

283196.jpg

283197.jpg

What's the story on this next one Steve?

283198.jpg

Kraig,

That is some hard pulling tight black dirt north of the PD field along the highway....I can only assume that on a bad year traction became an issue for the 560 with the plow in alfalfa stubble (hard plowing anyway) and the 22 was the poor man's front wheel assist.

656 muffler was no doubt the victim of the low barn doors where all of the wagons were stored (always had to take it off with a quick gloved hand before moving wagons)........more than one has been bent and or run over after it was taken off....
happy.gif

Picker was likely a Libby's unit snapping sweet corn.

STEVE - We never tried "Tandem tractors" like that plowing, but one year combining oats there was a wet spot the 450 wouldn't pull the JD #30 combine through, so I unhooked the wagon and chained the Super H up to the 450 to get everything thru one spot for a couple rounds.

We left some pretty good ruts, that field was going to be hog pasture the next year and the hogs really appreciated the ready-made mud holes.

Hey guys im new to the site. Great pics!! I grew up with the RED (IH) line more so with the dealership than on the farm. Got to see a lot of new models and drive them before they got to the field. It was a great time for being a kid. Once again, love the pics !!}}}}

Wow, great pictures guys! I wish I had some of those old memories from our farm. Very neat that you all took the time to take those back then.

While not family farming IH photos, there are IH Scouts in these and they are family photos.
happy.gif

This is my father with a coyote circa 1962. The IH Scout in the background belonged to his older brother's, brother in law.

283407.jpg

Here is the Scout in 1967 at the deer hunting shack. The guy coming out of the hunting shack is my father's older brother, Bob. The guy on the left is Bob's father in law Ralph, the father of the guy that owned the Scout.

283408.jpg

KRAIG - Old Scouts are cool, and that one is being used for what it was built for.

That's a pretty fancy hunting shack too.

Great pictures!

Kraig...That really works the memory! Haven't seen 60's scouts for quite a while.

}}

I'll bet that cabin has made a lot of folks some good memories over the years!!!!

I 100% agree, great shots of old Scouts in action......just what they were meant for.....now if we all just had one that nice now!!!!!

BTW, Grill screen material is same as a Cub Cadet Original.....

I need to get more of Steve's awesome higher resolution photos posted. but first:

Thanks for the comments.
happy.gif
I would love to have a Scout in that condition! The old hunting shack, which was torn down in 1973 had cardboard insulation/lining inside it. Mice LOVED it.
icon_eek.gif
In 1972 my father, his two older brothers and some other hunting buddies built a new cabin on the same leased property. In 1995 the new cabin was moved a couple of miles to 40 acres that my parents had bought in the mid 1980s. In 1999 we built an addition onto the cabin.

Here's a photo of the "new" cabin sometime in the late 1980's, note the <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> hat on the German Shorthair. That was my hat, sure wish I knew where it went.
sad.gif
Yep, that's me on the far left, then my brother Kent (RIP) My father (RIP) and my brother Kory. I forget which dog that was, we had literately dozens of Shorthairs over the years. BTW, Kent is wearing my Buffalo plaid Stormy Kromer hat and is the same hat I wear while clearing snow with the 125.
happy.gif

283452.jpg

Here's two recent photos of the cabin.

283453.jpg

283454.jpg

Mike, well, yes. Up in Northern Wisconsin where it's located it's nicer than some of the homes. It was just a cabin until we added on. It's off-grid but we have a generator and battery inverter system so we had a well drilled and put in a septic system. The old part of the cabin is quite rustic inside. The addition is 3 rooms, a great room a loft and a bunk room. It was broken into back around April 2012 and we lost a bunch of decor items, mounts antiques and such. I had started a thread here back at that time. For photos of the interior, mostly of the addition, click HERE

And to get this back on topic, here's some of Steve's photos in a higher resolution:

283460.jpg

283461.jpg

283462.jpg

283463.jpg

KRAIG, STEVE B. - Just noticed on Kraig's higher res. pic of the 560 & new New Idea pull picker.... the grease gun in the over-center mount bolted to the frame rail of the 560. Every tractor we owned, except the CC & JD B had one, plus a tool box big enough to hold 2-3 spare tubes of gun grease. Everything got greased before we started using it, like hay mowers & rakes, combines, & corn pickers. We'd go through 2-3 ten-tube cases of grease a year on the farm, where I get about 10-12 yrs out of a case now greasing the truck, CC's & old Farmall's.

Still amazes me how ALL of the Blunier's equipment shines like it was just waxed!

Dennis,
I one had a old timer and good friend tell me "Grease is cheaper than welding rods and steel".

I miss that Ol' guy!

Latest posts

Back