• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Off Topic deck clean up

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtanner

displayname
Donald Tanner
The time was now to clean the mower deck. I don`t spray with water or clean it out till Fall. I find I don`t have to.Just bio car undercoat sprayed once a year and thats it for this 96 deck. So I will keep this up.

Whats everybody else doing ?

217303.jpg

217304.jpg

217305.jpg

And something I unaware of lol
old.gif

I pull mine at the end of the season and after removing the blades, I sand / grind / clean the underside then paint with rustoleum rusty metal primer and then 2 coats of enamal paint. Works for me!

I have had my model 124 (bot used) since 1965. The 42 "mower deck (shell) has rusted badly. Not repairable. Can't find a replacement. Am thinking about making a new one using fiberglas & transferring jewelry (spindles, belt sheaves, etc.) from old "shell" . I'm handy & have complete wood and metal working tools & shop and have a little experience with fiberglas. Has anyone else done this? Is fiberglas a suitable material? If not by itself cud it be reinforced w/s.s. perhaps? Thanks for info.

Fiberglass (and most all composites in general) have poor impact resistance. It will not work. Used deck skins are plentiful...put in a want ad in the classifieds. Someone probably has one they'd sell you. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Owen Carr

I worked at a fiberglass plant for 20 + years and If I was to use glass for a deck I would bend steel around the bottom edge that could get hit on a rock or tree or some other none moving object.I would take the spindles out of the old rusted deck and fill the holes and us that for a pattern. Add the steel edging and after waxing the mould and then glass it. Polyester resin won`t stand up like epoxy will . I would use epoxy and the you could drill and tap the holes for the spindles. Epoxy will stand uv rays better also. But you can brush coat it and cure that problem .four layers of mat and resin will give you a thickness of over 1/2" and it would be strong. If you need more info , let me know . later Don T

Charlie
(It ain't gonna get hit by UV rays on the bottom side you putz!)
And the(and most all composites in general)The expert lol.
I do believe from reading his post he would attempt to build a new deck complete from fiber glass.
(I have had my model 124 (bot used) since 1965. The 42 "mower deck (shell) has rusted badly. Not repairable. Can't find a replacement. Am thinking about making a new one using fiberglas & transferring jewelry (spindles, belt sheaves, etc.) from old "shel ))))

The deck would fall apart from sun damage if not treated for UV . this is done with done with paraffin wax and another chemical to prevent the UV damage.I will bow out and let Matt G explain how to make a mold and what lay up is needed and how to prevent uv damage. and water wick affect to the glass.We made composite pipe at the plant 3" id that could be put in a vice and crushed . when removed from the vice there would be no damage ,cracking ect and could be used with no issues.Testing confirmed that the same piece of pipe could still withstand 150 psi with no leakage.

The question here is could a mower deck be made from fiberglass. yes it could with about 30 hrs of your time.many could be made from the same mould with little time . I do think it would be as strong as steel and out last steel.but a used deck in usable shape can still be found if an add is placed in the wanted section .
The putz
err.gif

OWEN - While Charlie & Don banter back & forth, check the "For Sale" ads, MATT G is correct, a fiberglass deck is an accident waiting to happen. I listed a good 42" deck that would pop right on your 124 in the for sale section about a week ago. Only problem is you're 1000 miles away from it!

Latest posts

Back