• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Need info on a 1863

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T-Mo

displayname
Terry Reed
I found a 1863 on machinefinder for $700. I haven't any pictures of it yet, but I emailed the seller for some. Now, providing this thing isn't a piece of abused junk, give me some insight on this thing. I.e. engine brand, size, mechanical or hydrualic lift, gear or hydro, years made, etc. Any info is appreciated, thanks.

I believe this is from 1993.

113980.jpg

113981.jpg

113982.jpg

113983.jpg

Thanks, Kraig. Just the info I need - too bad it wasn't a 1864, would have been nice with power steering.

TERRY- hellow, that 1863 looks to be a good tuff tractor. i'am impressed....never saw one before.

I am probably in the minority here, but I happen to like the cyclops years of the Cub tractors. I own an 1862 which is the predecessor of the 1864 and find that it is capable and comfortable tractor that fits my yard.

This generation of tractors has its good and bad points like every generation, but it seems to me that few new model introductions in the history of cub cadet brought as many positive changes to the line of tractors: super steering, power steering in a garden tractor, a thoughtfully redesigned stronger aluminum rear with truely heavy duty internals, a drive shaft with greaseable universals, a full size battery, and an under fender gas tank to name a few.

The plastic hood and panels do crack and wear out but on the whole works fine for years (just don't abuse it). I have read somewhere that either you love it or hate its looks. Getting beyond the esthetics, the hood represents CCC's first design into a more modern sloping hood which allows for a better view of what is ahead. Fortunately, they didn't go too far and the cyclops still looks to me like a tractor and not a pill bug (no offense meant). I think they got it right. I just wish they had chosen better in the way it assembles. This to me was a cost savings short cut that was a bad idea.

The 1863 is powered by the kohler command 18 which is for the most part highly regarded and is now considered a premium engine in modern tractor offerings. I think that some models of 1863 may have a hydro-gear transmission which is not the tried and true sunstrand u-15, but I am sure it is fine especially compared to modern tractors.

I found it didn't take long to get used to a hand control for the transmission. and it is much easier for me to switch forward to reverse than my gear driven Deere. Also, I think that a hydro has the additional benefit of acting as a power buffer, protecting your expensive driveline from being pushed too hard through its built in relief mechanisms. It really is ingenious and why they last forever (if you maintain them).

Power steering is nice, but I don't think its really necessary unless you are planning on doing plowing and snow blowing (and even then, it depends on how much jockying and maneuvering you need to do). Power steering also makes the hydraulics more complicated and it is expensive to repair compared to manual steering. I believe a new power steering valve will cost as much as your 1863.

So, I hope I have provided you with some insights into what owning a 90's era cub is about. I think they are a bargain for someone who needs a good working tractor.

If you would like to know more about cubs, I highly recommend Cub Cadet: The First 45 Years by Oscar H. Will. Its a great book packed with details and history about all the cubs.

Mike

Well, I was too late on purchasing it. It was sold just a day after I posted my question here. They do look like a nice unit and if I run across another one for the right price, I would buy it, I think.

I think Cubs are a great way to go. I had my heart set on a John Deere 318, but when I started to price out the tractor, and accessories (snow blower for sure), it started to get into $3k range. I just couldn't justify that when I could get a Cub with a 2 stage blower all set up (loaded wheels, weights and chains) and power steering for $1200. Yes, it isn't the prettiest Cub, but it works well.

The weird thing is that the nearest non-commercial dealer is over 25 miles away. I have lots of choice for Deere, Simplicty, Snapper and of course Craftsman within 10 miles. I think that MTD made a big mistake going into the box stores and killing some dealers. On the other hand, the local non-Cub dealers don't seem to have any problem getting parts and doing service.

Good luck in finding something.

Latest posts

Back