• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

My first cub cadet

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JT the 2nd - hey welcome to the Forum. Since you started your own thread I assume you're restoring your 104. It's a darn nice tractor, nice smooth 10hp Kohler (if it's running good), and good overall tractor to start out with. Now if you read some of the other posts you'll see I'm partial to Hydros, but what the heck, ya gotta start some place and ya also gotta take what you can get. So, lets see some pics of your unit. You'll get alot more responses when you post some pics. Give us some more details on it as well.

Right now all it wants to do is click at the selanod and I don't have a gas tank I have tryed to post pics but I can't get it to work

Is the battery any good? Try giving a charge and see what you get. Sometimes when the battery isn't very good all you'll get is the clicking sound. If that doesn't work try jumping it at the starter/generator. Get a little gas in the tank and then give it a whirl. And don't forget to post some pix for us!

James--welcome to the forum!!! It is a great community to be part of when you have "yellow fever" or in other words are partial to these yellow and white little tractors. There are guys on here that can give you advice on nearly every single piece of your 104. I agree with Harry, nice little tractor. The K series single Kohlers are really stout reliable engines and with proper care last trouble free for years and years. As far as posting pics goes, make sure that you have a good picture resizer app so that you can get the picture size small enough to post. Kraig can certainly advise you on the details of picture posting.

What are your plans with your 104? Are you restoring it? Do you plan to work it or show it? Do you want to use it for cutting grass, snow removal, etc?

James,If your battery is good, use a jumper cable connecting large post to large post on solenoid to by pass sol/switch & see if starter will turn over...

James - if you want a new original steel gas tank for your 104 it's probably $200+++. If you want an original used version then half or less than that depending. The 10hp style tank is less commonly available, and is a little smaller than the size used on a 12hp. If you get the 12hp tank you need the larger straps as well. So, check the Sponsors and/or post to the classified if you really need one. Otherwise you can also search on here for info on repairing or cleaning the tanks.

James - geez I sure hope you can get your pics resized and posted on here. We need to have a look see at your 104. I guess what your trying to do right now is see if you can get the engine to turn over by using the key switch and starter. Before doing that I'd suggest seeing if you can rotate the engine by hand. You need to put the gear shift in neutral and should have the brake pedal locked down. Then rotate the little pulley on the flywheel by hand. You should be able to reach it if the 1/2 moon clutch shield is removed. Otherwise you'll have to try and reach it from underneath. If you can rotate the engine does it make any rattling noise, or does it lock up? Is there any resistant when you rotate? It should get harder to rotate then you'll feel a release and it will rotate easy and then you'll feel resistance again (this means you probably have compression.) Let us know.

It does rotate by hand Im going to use to city grass and show it refurbish it. I would like to find a creepers gear for it and some attachments for it

url]

James - does it seem to have compression/resistance when you rotate the engine or does it just spin freely?
Also, just looked at your pic. It looks like someone covered the IH Federal Yellow paint with some brownish color, I think to protect the yellow - doesn't look that bad tho. At least they didn't do the hood/dash. I think you can salvage the decals if you're careful when you do get to the painting. Looks like nice front tires (although I can only see one) and the rear tires look original but ok. Generally look good overall and I hope your engine comes back to life reasonably easy. Do you happen to know why the gas tank is missing? Sometimes they get really rusty inside, and since it would have had the glass fuel bowl and hard copper fuel line, the rust could get thru and clog things up including the carb. Let us know.

James: Not a bad looking 104! I especially like the complete light package. I never seen a deck rusted out like that, but you can find another deck fairly easily. Same with the gas tank, although, like Harry says, they rust up fairly easily. There is a FAQ about using muriatic acid to clean them, but Charlie adds that you need to use some 1/4-20 hardware or something else to really get them clean.

If the motor turns free and hooking juice directly to the starter/generator doesn't turn it over I don't know what could be wrong. If jumping the battery results in "Click, Click, Click" then I think you need to clean your grounds, especially at the battery and the voltage regulator, although it wouldn't be a bad idea to clean them in any case.
smile.gif

I like Cub Cadets of that vintage or earlier, I'm not a fan of the one-piece fender.

JT,
Why is the fuel tank gone?
You gotta' get fuel to that thing.

Back