• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

M 18 blow by?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcondon

displayname
Jim Condon
I rerung my engine.It had both blow head gaskets and had blow by before this.The crankcase vent was bad so I replaced w/the updated version.I checked the ring end gap before asy.and was in the middle of spec.I did notice that the valve guide were leaking oil by even w/the stem seals.I didn't have time to mess w/it then.When I mow for a tank and a half of fuel(7 1/2 gals)and you let engine cool off and check the oil,it goes down about an 1/8 of an inch.How much it this worth messing with?I've never had a Kohler engine.I does smoke a woff when you first hit the throttle but isn't noticable while mowing.I don't even get that burnt oil smell like if it were really in bad shape............Thanks Jim

Jim: I would change the oil, tighten the head bolts, and leave it alone. With 1/8" of the dip stick showing, the oil is being consumed, but that amount could be accounted for by the valve guides. The carburetor mixture can also affect oil consumption. I wouldn't worry about it until you're down to the fill mark after two tanks of gas.

Latest posts

Back