• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Leaky Dip Stick?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Riutzel

IHCC Supporter
While checking the oil on a 1650 with the Kohler K341, I noticed the dip stick/oil fill tube looking like a 20 year old dryer vent. It had a lot of dust and fine plant debris stuck all around the inside. This motor was recently overhauled, and all the internals including the fill tube was spotlessly clean. The only thing I can think of is it's very loose around the crimp that holds the handle to the measuring stick and it's leaking there. The O ring is new and tight, but the piece it's on flops around a bit. It's mostly dirty to about 1/2 way down. I'm pretty sure the crankcase breather is OK as that was all clean too including the foam demister and hole in the tappet chamber.

Greg - a pic could be worth a thousand words.
I think it's fairly common for what I would call the "cap" on the stick to get loose. The crimp on the stick that holds the cap snug just eventually wears and allows the cap to flop around. If this is really what you have then here is a fix I've used a few times. Doesn't always work or last a long time but might be worth a try. A lot just depends on how much wear you have on the stick and cap assembly.

My suggestion is to take you stick assembly to your work bench. First slide the cap up and check the crimp area. If it's letting the cap slip down past the crimp you can try to flatten it out so the cap won't go past it. If you accomplish this so the cap won't go past this original level of the crimp then your next step is to drill a tiny 1/16" hole and add a tiny 1/16" cotter pin to hold the cap snug against the crimp. You'll have to hold the cap snug against the crimp and then mark where you need to drill the hole. I'd also suggest cutting the cotter pin to about 1/4" or 3/8" in total length before you install it. For this fix to work your cotter pin has to hold the cap right against the crimp on the stick.

If this doesn't work for you, well it's time to buy a new complete dip stick. Pretty certain CC Specialties (linked in the colorful boxes at the top of this page) will have your stick.

You nailed it Harry. The crimp still keeps things in place, just flopsy wopsy. I'm trying a glob of Right Stuff on the center to "firm" it up and seal. Right Stuff or Toyota's FIP gasket maker is pretty good for sealing and sets firmer than most RTV type gasket makers. I guess on theses thumpers with time everything gets beat to death. Lots of look alike sticks out there, even if I have the IH part number.

Back