• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Lo-Boy ID

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wshytle

displayname
Wayne Shytle
I went to see a guy about a cub cadet today and he had a Lo Boy. He wasn't sure of the year but wants to know. Is there a website that tells the manufacture date by serial number? The number is 24883 J.

Any and all appreciated....thanks!

Thanks a lot Bill. I relayed the info to the owner. Thanks for the website too...could be helpful since I plan on getting a Lo-Boy some day.

Bill-

The owners wife says she grew up with this tractor and thinks it's older than a 1968. Is there a chance it could be older some how? And I was wondering what is this Rockford clutch and what makes it special? Hydraulic vs mechanical? I'm going back next week and will take some pictures.

It's possible the front bolster was replaced with a newer one. That is where the S/N plate is located.
Nothing special about a Rockford clutch, most Cubs and Lo-Boys came with them.
An Auburn clutch is rarer and had no letter after the S/N. Both are mechanical.

WAYNE - The Rockford Clutch refers to the manufacturer of the clutch disc & pressure plate. The CUB & LoBoy tractors used a compressed graphite throw-out bearing that I understand can be very troublesome, until Case/IH went back to a Wisconsin machine shop about 25 miles down the road from me to get them.

We used Rockford Clutches in ALL models of FARMALL's, even the hydro's. My Super H has a Rockford clutch, not sure about the '51 M. But they are known to have nice wide friction points for easing into loads and resist slipping a LOT. Not sure but I think the M got a clutch during one of it's rebuilds, (it's had 2) and the clutch on the SH has NEVER been apart since it was assembled @ FARMALL over 57 yrs ago.

Rockford CLutch was a division of Borg-Warner located in Rockford, IL. They also made all the driveshafts for the 2+2 articlulated tractors built at Farmall.

Dennis-

Having never seen one it's hard to imagine a compressed graphite throw-out bearing. I'd like to add a loboy to my collection someday. I have a Ford 4000 and it's just a little more than I need. I'd love to have a mid-sized tractor to help with engines but it would have to have a 3 pt.

Thanks for the info.

Some things to consider before buying a Culti-Vison Cub or Lo-Boy

They are a primitive machine, there is very little difference between a 1947 and a 1968.
The PTO spins at engine RPMS, it is not a 540 RPM PTO.
The turning radius is terrible.
You will not find one with a 3 pt. hitch, they made a 1 pt. Fast Hitch for them but are hard to find and expensive.
Make sure you get rear wheel weights, you will need them.

Having said that, I will never get rid of my 61 Lo-Boy. I love it!
That little 4 cyl engine runs like a sewing machine and starts everytime no mater. It's a blast to mow wide open areas or cruise down the road.

Bill-

Well...I see I have a bit more research to do here. I will want power steering as well so a Lo-Boy is out of the question for what I had in mind. They are such a good looking little tractor. The owners of the topic here uses theirs for mowing and pulling a yard trailer and that's it. I still may get one for a restoration project someday especially if a deal comes along.

Thanks for all of the great info.

Back