• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Kodak easy share

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbrigham

displayname
Brendan Brigham
What does everyone think of the Easy Share cameras? I have been lookin at the Z710 and with so many choices in cameras I'm just a little unsure of what to do. I do know I want to get one with at least 7mpix. Thanks for any help or opinions.
Bren

Brendan- My first was a DX4330 (3.1). Now have the Kodak 10Xzoom (6.1) Unless used in printing larger pics, both about the same in my book. 6.1 has more buttons to push/set. Know nothing about the 7. mpix one. Am sure you will enjoy no matter what!!
coffee.gif

Brendan,

I've been very satisfied with my Z700 (4.0 MP). It's about a year old now and takes great pictures (well, as good as it can with me holding it). Not real power-hungry either. Although that might have something to do with the batteries I'm using - Maha Powerex 2500mAH NiMH rechargeables. Great batteries for the price.

Brendan B: As indicated by others, the technical aspects of the Kodak are up to par but I would take a close look at their digital software programs. Kinda like the old Beta VCRs. As long as you stuck with the Sony Beta you were ok but they weren't compatable with all those other brands (VHS). I think you will find Kodak is like that. Their software is proprietary and often not compatable with all those other brands (like printing photos). Just check'em out and make sure you can live with what you find...I did and bought an Olympus....and am delighted.

Myron B

Who says you HAVE to use their software ? I just pull the pics off the camera by going to my computer and clicking on the camera drive then copy them to the pc. I then use PSP to do what I want with them. You can also view them with windows viewer before you take them off the camera. You do want to get a camera that saves the pics as jpeg though. If you get one that has video then get (my preference) mpeg video and 30fps. I've got the C743 Easyshare because of it's size. I also got a 1 gig memory card and at high res it'll hold 752 pics. I just checked the website and they have the 1 gig card for 9.99 , I paid 13.99 ... oh well. I'll have to get another ;)
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/search.asp?keywords=kodak+c743&image1.x=9&image1.y=9

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=2315935&sku=T555-1010&CMP=ILC-FPM03

Brendan:
My wife has used a DX-6490 for a couple of years...great glass and optical (10x) zoom,color always has seemed pretty good, but I've always thought it was slow under low light conditions (like using 100 speed film when you should be using 800). I contrast that with my Sony that seems to hold up real well under low light (maintains pretty high shutter speed, so that motion doesn't become an issue). The software sucks, but my wife has dropped it and uses Picassa. I couldn't believe the contortions we had to go through to update the Kodak software (online downloader controls the update, which is a huge download that you can't save - it installs in real time only..)

Brendan B: Just like I said...Check it out and just make sure you can live with Kodak's proprietary software nonsense......

Myron B

This is slightly off the easyshare topic but is relevant if you want to make prints. It also is hard to find out because the person selling you the camera won't tell you, or doesn't know about it.

All digital cameras have a 3x4 (.75) ratio for the picture frame. This is the same ratio that has been used on TV screens until the intro of HD. This ratio is NOT the same as the ratio that 35mm cameras had which was a 2x3 (.66) ratio. If you are used to turning your film in an ordering a batch of 4x6 prints and now go in and submit a batch of digital images from your dig cam, they WILL NOT print properly on 4x6 prints.

The top and bottom of a landscape picture or the left and right edges of a portrait image WILL BE CROPPED off on a 4x6 print. In order to print the digital images correctly you must order "4XD" prints instead of "4x6". If you just submit your print job to your local drugstore, etc who advertises "digital prints" what they really mean is that you can bring in or send images in digital files and they can print them. This does not mean they will print them correctly. Almost all of the counter people have never heard of 4XD. They just know that the images will be cropped on 4x6.

My wife has been taking good pictures for years with a 35mm SLR film camera and received a good digital camera for Christmas. Several of the group photos taken at the parties had everyone's head cut off on the prints. She is a computer newbie and is really pi$$ed that she has to sit down and have me process the images before we print them. On the first try, I used Photoshop to crop and adjust them. I now have an unmodified batch submitted to Target for 4XD prints, but these are only obtainable for mail order delivery because the local Target store's "digital print" capability can't do them in 4XD. I found one other mail order house but it costs more than Target. I tried the Kodak easyshare site and didn't find 4XD listed. Neither does Target's site at the top level but at http://target.new.photos.yahoo.com/shop you can find a link to "Digital Format Prints". You can do it other ways on their site but, trust me, this is the way to do it.

So, buyer beware

The main reason I was lookin at the Kodak is Best Buy has a package with the Z710 and G600 printer for $320. I have looked at others but realy can't spend $600 on a camera. I do know you get what you pay for when it comes to electronic stuff. I would like to get something with at least 7mp and 10X zoom. I know brands like Canon, Nikon, Minolta have good reputations but do not know about the others. I have other Sony equipment and it is all excelant so I would emagine there cameras are too. Will that Kodak printer make the correct 4x6 prints or will they also have to be cropped? I won't need the printer but the better half will. I mainly need the higher mp's to get better resolution when blowing pics up when working on the puter to look at up close details. I realy appretiate all the responces and help as i'm pretty new to cameras. I can tear down, rebuild and modify damn near anything mechanical, built custome Triumph choppers, hot rods, but this electronic stuff just looses me.

Thanks guys,
Bren

Brendan- I have no problems with my Epson CX7800, will print any size I want. I don't think I would like one that prints directly from camera thou. Easy share does have problems, down sizing and transfer to another photo site. Good luck!!

Brendan,

I failed to mention what the 4XD print size really is. It is 4" x 5.33", which is the proper proportion to print the digital frame on 4" high paper. The few printers I know about print on 4x6 paper and will crop the photo top and bottom because it adjusts the width of the frame to fit the 6 in paper.

So check around if you want to print your own. There may be printers out there that will print the digital frame correctly. My post was to make people aware of the retail print offers which print using true photographic print processes and are not ink jet prints.

Thanks for all the info guys. Now also lookin at a Sony DSC-H2 and an Olympus somthin. So many choices. I at least have it narrowed down from what I was first looking at. I do like the fact that the Sony uses Ziess glass. I've used their rifle scopes in the past and was really pleased.

Bren

Brendan, I have a Sony DSC-H1 and I absolutely love it! I kind of wish I had the DSC-H2 for the higher MP but the 5.1MP seems to be plenty. Very easy to copy files off of, the camera acts as a card reader so no need for special software or a seperate card reader. I have a 1GB Memory stick Pro for it and that is plenty, though with the higher MP of the DSC-H2 might fill it up faster. The 12x optical zoom is a very nice feature! It also takes great videos, be aware that most if not all digital cameras don't allow zooming while taking video, you can zoom in then take video but not WHILE taking video. Here is a good website for digital camera reviews: DP Review

Back