Kindle Fire HD 4G or NOOK

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digger

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
IHCC Sponsor
IHCC Supporter
displayname
Digger
Ok all you tech guys.
I got the wife a Kindle Fire last year and now she thinks she needs to upgrade.
Which one do you think would be best in the long run?

Kindle Fire HD 8.9" 4G or the NOOK

Got my wife the Kindle Fire HD,but you may want to go with the 8 GB or more,depending on usage.
Don't even know anyone with a Nook yet,wonder why...?

Charlie, when I asked my granddaughter she said to type in "Kindle Fire versus Nook" on YouTube. Lots of information there. Gives you an idea what each is best at or for.

She reads and a little web stuff when we're out on the road.
Checks email and hunts for suppliers and the like.

Charlie - my Wife's IPad is amazing! I think its the most used computer/smart electronic item we use at our house. It's used for reading books, facebook, photos, surfing, playing games, helping me work on a vehicle, cub cadet, ATV, everything.

I've not messed with a Nook or Kindle Fire though... Nor have I tried to post here on this website with the Ipad yet.

I have the cheapest Kindle and it works for me for reading books.

Charlie - I've been thrashing around for a tablet to use at work and on the road when traveling vs carrying my laptop. I'm not very interested in using it for watching movies or even reading books, but for taking work notes and surfing the web, etc.

One of my big gripes with these tablets has been their inability (as I understand it) to simply work with a PC. For example - I'd like to tether to my cell phone for internet vs buying another 4G package, have a USB port to plug in my printer, I'd like to be able to use Word, Excel back and forth between the PC and tablet. Not sure any of the tablets on the market today can do these chores - yet. However, I looked at a Microsoft Surface tablet and they look pretty slick - but, there are two versions. One is released and is Windows 8 RT software driven and the other model, soon to be released has full blown Windows 8. The windows 8 tablet (as I understand it) can operate like a PC and is compatible it sounds like in every way. So loading similar programs and plugging into printers, etc. should be easy to do.

All of this may be more $$$'s than you are looking to spend, including an ipad.

I don't have a tablet yet, but have had the ipad on my radar - though almost everyone at work and family who is tuned-in with these things from an IT standpoint doesn't like the ipad. They speak of the ipad as being overly restricted by Apple in what you can do with them and what apps you can run.

I like the ipad because it's simple to use, has a gazillion apps and like my washing machine, you turn it on and it simply works - not a lot of complicated crap to wrestle with.

Back to your original question. I asked our IT guy here at work who recently bought a couple of Kindle Fire tablets for his kids his opinion. I asked him why kindle vs the Nook and he simply said personal preference. But he gave me an interesting link to a review of these tablets and how they compare. Here's the link:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20009738-1/kindle-vs-nook-vs-ipad-which-e-book-reader-should-you-buy/

Hope this helps....
old.gif

Vince, I post to the forum without any problems with my iPad, but can't poast pictures.

The iPad has a Pages app for typing stuff, that is really well featured, a keynote for presentations like Power Point, numbers, for graphs and stuff like exel, and there is even a Adobe photoshop app the is pretty useful. I first got the iPad 1 for a cheaper price when the 2 came out then I sold it and bought the 3 two days after it came out, the retina display on the 3 is truly amazing. My iPad is jail broken so I have no restrictions from Apple.

Latest posts

Back