• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Kawasaki Vtwins

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kide

displayname
Gerry Ide
Had an interesting problem on the 19 HP vertical shaft Kaw on the Scag (it's 8 years old, not a lot of hours though). The starter wouldn't engage, just barely hit the ring gear.. Thought it'd be the solenoid (starter looks like a small version of an old GM with solenoid on the starter). Took starter off, took solenoid off, it looked OK, found that I couldn't move the engagement lever that pushes the gear forward. Took the starter the rest of the way apart, the gear, which has a one way clutch in it and twists on a spiral on the armature shaft was frozen in place, wouldn't slide on the shaft.. Stood the armature upright, hit the end of the gear with some JB-80 and let it sit for a minute, was able to get it to twist and move, kept shooting the JB-80 and it finally loosed and slid like it's supposed to - shot it with dry teflon lube and put everything back together - works like new - no $$ fix. Grease on the armature shaft apparently hardened and froze the gear in place...
1AA_dance2.gif

Anybody had other issues with the Kaw motors??

My 220 hour 18hp Liquid cool vertical suffers from the occasional ring gear miss. I have always attributed it to the vertical position and all of the fine dirt that lands in the bendix, but maybe I need to look closer.

That 18hp is a monster on my ZTR.....with a 54" deck in tall grass the deck gives up way before the the engine even thinks about loading up......nice motor!!!!

258221.jpg

GERRY - Not an a KAWI, but the starter on my Onan in my 982 started not engaging 2-3 yrs ago. Then just like clock-work, I took it down to SON's for him to use for the summer and it started not engaging 100% of the time. But remove the side panel to you can even SEE the starter and give it a tap and it'd engage ONCE.

So about a year ago SON & I pulled the engine, cleaned up the starter good, got everything twisting & turning again and used some dry lube spray they use a lot of at his work. Starter works fine still.

Gerry- My Toro zero turn has a 22 hp Kawi and a 48" deck. I only put 33 hrs on it last year and never had a power issue. a few times I was cutting 4" of grass all she would go ahead and no problems. looking back over my cut I was shocked to see such an even cut a wot.Even with the trees and shrubs i mow around I can still cut the 4.5 acres with a pattern in under two hrs. Jimmy D had some say in my choice of engine brands, I could have gotten a 28 K in the Toro. After hearing both engines run I chose the kawi.The kawi 22 has a real nice sound at idle to about 1/2 T .kind a sounds like a M C lol. I`m real happy with the big hydro pumps and the fuel it uses.I got over the learning curve, real fast as to how it can work so fast and not run into fixed **** lol.I have given some thought to getting front breaks with two petals. I think that will help on the steep grades I mow.

Denny , You got be careful with your multi angle swing press (hammer)on a starter case . BTDT , seems the magnet will break in two pieces "real" easy lol. I pulled the starter on my Z turn this winter to clean the Bendix shaft and apply a dry lube , I hope that lube will ward off some dirt. I slip plated the deck and serviced it and I`am ready to work it.

DON - You really haven't seen how TIGHT that ONAN is stuffed into a 982. About the only thing you could get stuck between the frame & engine shrouds and on to the starter was a small Phillips screwdriver or a small punch, a straight blade was too wide. A couple taps was all that was needed.

I forget which topic I made the comment a couple days ago that "I never HAMMER on a CC."

Back