• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

K161 Rebuild Help

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbratton

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Justin Bratton
First time rebuilding an engine. Making a checklist of all tools and manual(s) needed to tear down and rebuild my K161. It is currently ‘locked up’. Any pointers, advice, and help would be appreciated. Thank you.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Valve spring compressor
foot pound torque wrench, you can convert in. pounds. to ft. pounds when need be like for rod bearings.
Ring compressor tool for installing new rings.
Flat surface such as a think piece of glass and sandpaper for resurfacing the head.
Feeler gages, both ribbon and standard for checking piston
fit and ring end gaps
VOM meter for static timing befor installation (easiest method and it will be spot on if done correctly)
Download the Kohler service manual for use in dis and re-assembly.

Are you planning on taking the dis-assembled engine to a machine shop for cleaning and evaluation??

Valve spring compressor
foot pound torque wrench, you can convert in. pounds. to ft. pounds when need be like for rod bearings.
Ring compressor tool for installing new rings.
Flat surface such as a think piece of glass and sandpaper for resurfacing the head.
Feeler gages, both ribbon and standard for checking piston
fit and ring end gaps
VOM meter for static timing befor installation (easiest method and it will be spot on if done correctly)
Download the Kohler service manual for use in dis and re-assembly.

Are you planning on taking the dis-assembled engine to a machine shop for cleaning and evaluation??
Thank you. Only two items that I missed is the VOM meter and thick piece of glass. And I do plan on finding a reliable machine shop to take the disassembled motor two.

First thing I would do is get a manual. Engine Manuals | Kohler Engines
I have a digital copy and hard copy!

Latest posts

Back