• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

John M. Falge's 154...

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jfalge

Hello all,

I'm seeking some collective wisdom. I have a 1972 154 low boy that quit running on me last week. After trouble shooting, I dropped the oil pan and struck gold. There is metal filings in the bottom of the pan. It appears at this point it's overhaul time. Upper and lower?

My question is, where can I find a rebuilt or replacement motor? Is this a OEM only part? If I do buy a replacement motor should I get one for a 185/184 model to gain a additional 4 HP? I'm pretty sure it would bolt on.
Anyone got one?

Secondly, is it worth while to rebuild the motor myself or have a machine shop tackle the project. Where is a good rebuild parts supplier? Is it better to go to the dealer for parts?

I also have a opportunity to buy a 185 with a rebuilt motor for $2,000 with a mower deck and blower. It's got a small leak at the rear main seal and the guy wants to dump the machine.

So many questions while the grass grows higher. Your advice is well appreciated.

Regards
JF
[email protected]

JOHN F. If the 185 with the rebuilt engine is a decent looking tractor I think that's Your best bet. Sounds like Your 154 needs a BUNCH of parts and I believe a Case/IH/New Holland dealer will be Your only source. Hard to tell from the description where the metal filings are from but it doesn't sound good. The C-60 Cub engine doesn't use sleeves so has to be bored over-size and larger pistons fitted, plus I understand the cam bearings need to be replaced so they hold oil pressure

How much more hp would you get from a 154 engine boring it out to .30 over?

The 60 CID Engine is also in other tractors. Parts are available from you full service parts store. They are expensive whether you go the Case Int. route or the parts store. I rebuilt my 184 several years back. Need to check your head to make sure it is not cracked. The rear crank shaft seal can be a bear. Wants to rotate with the crank and then leak. Need to stiple the bracket that holds the seal so it will not rotate. The 154 and 185 are Starter generator models and the 184 has a flywheel starter. Some blocks I have seen have the boss for the starter others don't. The engine is not that hard to rebuild. Depends on the condition of the internal parts. The shavings don't sound good. May need crank turned and an overbore. One sure thing is that you will not get your hands in the cylinders to clean or wipe down, unless you have tiny hands.

Back