International Harvester Cub Cadet 1282 (Red)

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmartin

displayname
Thomas Gordon Martin
I just acquired a 1282 and I am anxious to start rebuilding it.
Thank you,
Tom Martin

<font color="ff0000">Tom Tom Tom, Did ya miss the rules section?</font>

Tom:

46326.jpg
Welcome to the forum.

During your rebuild process, if you need any information, stop back and ask away.

thumbsup.gif

I read through them and then I checked a few threads to make sure I was inline with what other posters had posted in the way of questions. I did not think that I did anything wrong. <font color="ff0000">Postings of items 'For Sale' or 'Wanted to Buy' or 'For Trade' (no matter how thinly veiled) shall be in the Classifieds.</font>

Rbedell asked if I need any information, ask away and that is what I did. <font color="ff0000">Postings of items 'For Sale' or 'Wanted to Buy' or 'For Trade' (no matter how thinly veiled) shall be in the Classifieds.</font>

I guess I am confused about gathering information about this particular Cub Cadet. I sure cannot find anything on the internet about a Cub Cadet 1282, I thought that I may find info regarding my mower on this discussion board. I will read the rules section again.
Tom

Charlie:

From Tom's post, I read it as he is announcing that he bought a 1282, and he is interested in rebuilding it. I personally don't see an "Ad" here, but that is the way I see it.
dunno.gif

Tom:

Charlie is correct. The 1282 is considered a Garden Tractor and questions can be posted on the Main Forum.
thumbsup.gif

Well, I learn something new everyday. I sure thought the 1282 was a riding lawn mower, not a lawn tractor. But hey, I like lawn tractor much better especially since I have a small cultivator that will fit it just fine. I also have acquired a 12volt screw lift which I am going to rig up to raise and lower the cultivator. I have no idea how powerful it is but I guess I will find out in the not too distant future.

Tom

Tom:

If you have the IH built electric lift, they will handle the IH snowthrowers and tillers.

thumbsup.gif

I have not been working on the 1282 lately, too much cold and rain. Anyway, whoever had this tractor previously rewired a lot of it and I want to put it back to its orginal wiring. There are two fuse holders which have been disconnected and one of them is missing the cap. There was no ignition switch until I purchased one yesterday, the wires to the rear lights have been cut and some of the wires under the instrument panel are disconnected. Some of the wiring looks like cord off a bedroom lamp So, it looks like I have to repair all of this before I can do much of anything else. I replaced the solenoid but all I got was some clicking and then it quit. I guess the clicking was the regulator which I suppose id the yellow eposy encapsulated component mounted on the engine with three wires exiting it.

Does anyone have a used wiring harness or a wiring diagram. Any help would be appreciated.

Kraig,
Thanks a million. Let me ask you a question. The wiring diagram shows an alternator. I looked all over the engine and I did not see an alternator. Where is it. Another question. How does the brake switch work. There are two switches on the instrument panel, one for the PTO and another unmarked one which I thought was an add on.
Tom

Thomas M:

The Alternator is located under the Flywheel.
50464.jpg

The Brake Switch is normally open. You have to step on the Brake Pedal so that you can start the motor. This closes the switch. That is if everything is functioning correctly.

There is only ONE factory switch on the dash, and that is the PTO Switch.

Why, oh why, is this 1282 <u>Garden</u> Tractor still being discussed on the Lawn Tractor page???

Myron B

Myron,
I suppose that it is because I am sorta new at this and my 1282 has a mower deck on it and it is used to mow the yard. I have a three acre yard and sometimes it looks like a hay field and I mow it with a riding lawn mower. I thought that was what the 1282 is; a riding lawn mower.

If it had a tiller or cultivator on it, I would consider it a garden tractor. But, if there is a way to transfer all these posts over to the Main Forum, I am all for it. Anyway, in the future I will post in the Main Forum if that is where this discussion should be located.
BTW, what is a lawn tractor?
T. Gordon Martin

Thomas M:

This tab located on the main page kinda sums it up:

50493.jpg

There is no big foul here. It is just trying to keep topics in the correct forum for ease of viewing and research.

The Forum Moderators can move these topics around.
This is in consideration of them not using a "lame excuse".

err.gif
bouncy.gif

Thomas M: A limousine and an old rattle-trap truck may both get you down the road and you can put luggage in the back of both but they are not the same!!

So, by way of explanation, tractors are purchased as the tractor only. Any equipment intended for its use must be purchased separately (maybe they all come in a bundle price, but each is separate). IH Cub Cadet Garden Tractors, like the A's, Cubs and LowBoys, are included in this because they have drive shafts are capable of ground engaging operations. The original purchaser could have purchased a rotary belly mower for it (and apparently did in your case) and could also have purchased ground engaging equipment like plows, rakes, tillers, dirt/snow blades, etc., for it (apparently you didn't get them if he/she did).

IH Cadet Lawn Tractors (note they are called Cadet not Cub Cadet) are best described as tractor-style riding lawn mowers and are belt driven. Most IH lawn tractors used a Brigg & Stratton (B&S) engine as well having as belt driven power. They also come with a mowing deck (not purchased separately). They are much lighter duty and are <u> not intended</u> for ground engaging use. IH did provide a front blade for them for snow removal, which they can handle to some degree. There was also a snow blower for them. <u>BUT</u> no plows, rakes, dirt blades, tillers, or other ground engaging equipmnent was/is available for them. They are basically just lawn mowers.

This forum provides discussion space for both categories. Ya just get better answers when you use the one intended. Welcome to the Forum & Cub Cadet collecting...

Myron B

Myron,
Thanks for the info. I am starting to understand about tractors and lawn mowers. I bought this 1282 about a month ago for fifty dollars and it has been sitting in the carport ever since. I saw the pulleys and belts on it and just assumed it was like all other lawn mowers. I did not realize that it was driveshaft driven until I read your post and went out and looked at it and lo and behold, there was a driveshaft.
Thanks
Gordon

Thomas M: The more you delve into your 1282, the more you will find that IH Garden tractors are unlike all others. They are built simply and ruggedly and routinely out perform anything else out there.

See ya over on the IH Cub Cadet page (click on the one at the top) for better results. The red 1282 was only marketed by IH through IH Ag dealers but was actually built by CCC, well after IH had sold their Outdoor Products division to MTD. The comparable/duplicate CCC model number is the Yellow/White Model 680 sold only at CCC dealers. Therefore, you can also use the MTC/CCC page for good response to your inquiries about your 1282.

Myron B

I have a 1282 (red one). Currently it has a 44C deck on it. I have found a 44GT deck. Can I easily replace the 44C with a 44GT. Will the same brackets work?

TIM..The 1282 is a CCC Garden Tractor. This is the IH Lawn Mower section. Please ask your question in the MTD/CCC thread....

Myron B

Latest posts

Back