IH trucks

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gcoleman

displayname
Glen M. Coleman
found this monster, dunno what its called, bit its huge. Oh, and no clue who's driving either
71186.jpg

71187.jpg

71188.jpg

Glen C.,
SWEET pics!
groupwave.gif

Where were those pics taken, at some museum?

Ryan W
beerchug.gif

I wish, found em on a museums web page, but I cant for the life of me remember what it was called.

Brian-
That's a great find! You don't see too many front mount pumps on chassis that small. It looks like it's still in service too, gotta love that.

Where I work we build quite a few fire apparatus on IHC chassis, both the 4000 and 7000 series chassis.

Yup, still in service, they use it as a brush truck. All the guys say it's fun to drive but a pain to get parts for. I told them if it gets too difficult to deal with just give me a call!

Anyone have any info (manuals etc.) on a'74 IH Metro van(aluminum body)? I checked Binder books site and didn't see anything for that year/model.

I love IH's old trucks from back in the 50's. They'd build about ANYTHING anybody wanted. Saw an ad in the latest Red Power Mag. of a 1959 R-192 single axle semi-tractor, Rare power steering option! 450 cid-6 cyl. engine, 5+2 transmission & air brakes of course. SINGLE PERSON CAB, I bet it's less than three feet from door-to-door, been restored/refurb'd, IMRON paint, runs out fine....doesn't say how many miles, only $14,500 picked up in Indiana.

Been my experience that a 450-6 in a Binder can burn at least 12-15 gallons of gas per hour while cruising at a leisurely 50-55 mph depending on load & gearing. The old Loadstar I drove one winter had a 475 cid V-8 with a tiny little Holley 2 bbl carb and I'd get three to three and a quarter MPG trying to run 62 mph. The 450-6 would have a real hard time trying to keep up with the V-8. It only had a 1 bbl.

A good IH truck mechanic told Me one time that IH never built ANY two trucks alike....even for companies like Schnieder & JB Hunt who ordered hundreds at a time, without the line set ticket You had NO idea what components You needed to repair things like brakes, suspensions, transmissions, etc.

WYATT - I bet that white brush truck has a 392 V-8 in it. A 345 at the very least. You see old IH brush trucks posted for sale in RPM every once in a while, Some may even have 10,000 miles on them!
And My Mom's got a picture of Our first St. Bernard puppy, MACK, in front of a brand new 1960 IH pickup just like the one Brian posted with My Dad & the Neighbor holding the pup. Neighbor had just picked the truck up and was showing it off. Same color even.

I saw a CXT 7400 in person the other day, it was a one off 4x4, twin Eaton axles, lifted even more than factory, all Alcoa aluminum wheels, and twin stacks, the bed was of of an F650, wish i had my camera, it was nice.

The XT line is OK, but if you want to really get something done with your Binder . . . .
96895.jpg

7400 4x4, MaxxForce9, SST body, 1000 gallon water, 20 gallon foam, 1500gpm pump plus a pump for pump & roll, 5Kw generator, 9000# winch . . . .

I saw an MXT in the parking lot at the Navistar offices on saturday. This is the one off I-88 around Naperville. It was HUGE! I need to call them and see if I can get a pic of it and my 71 Travelette together. I finally got him home and washed off.
97026.jpg

I "Thought" I saw a post a couple weeks ago Navistar was going to stop making the MXT, CXT vehicles and just build them for the Military. I checked their website last week and I couldn't find any mention of the MXT & CXT but that doesn't mean much.
I did see a neat old truck sell yesterday, Bought brand new by My Buddy's Dad in 1951, was a '51 F-3 3/4 ton Ford, flat-head-6 & 3-speed synchromesh floor shift. Still 6-V electrical, oil bath air cleaner, They had to put a new fuel pump on it to get it to run. Body was rough and needed LOTS of brake work (Didn't ALL Ford p/u's of that age?) but ran well enough to get up onto the trailer to go home! $600. Ohhhh, The seat was in the bed....Driver was sitting on a 5-gal. bucket!
I talked to the Proud New Owner, Said He likes working on old IHC iron better, just harder to find parts but they normally don't need as many parts!

why yes, exactly like those haha. Itd be nice to own one, but, seeing as their fuel economy is, well that of a truck, and, im not sure they'd fit int my school parking lot too well.
lol.gif

Wyatt, looks like a brush rig used for forest fires, anywhere close? im partial to the OSHKOSH crash trucks (AARF?) although, they are a bit big for offroading haha

Glen-
Sorry it took so long to respond, been busy @ work. The truck shown is actually for a small town in with a HUGE rural area, I don't think they have much for forest in their area. They need a structural rig, but something that takes care of grass/field fires.

Oshkosh has it together for ARFF trucks, but I think KME and Rosenbauer have been working quite a bit to get ahead of the pack. They're looking to take the market away from Oshkosh and E-One.

Wyatt, not a problem, and, i havent seen a whole lot new in the ARFF line from Oshkosh, or E-One, as far as "street" units are concerned, Perice-Dash and Seagrave have my vote. Ive even got a Pete 379 water/foam tanker round my neck of the woods, its the notorious tanker 5 belonging to Maryland's Dunkirk volunteer firehouse. Awesome truck lol.

Latest posts

Back