• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

IH 282 Fluids

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhoobler

displayname
Matt Hoobler
Hello,

CUB CADET 282 HYDRO QUESTION

My uncle just gave me a 1980 IH Cub Cadet 282 Hydro, but the rear end didn't drive. I just bought another rear end (hyrdo pump and transmission) that was supposed to run, but I can't get it to drive either. I think it may be my fluids.

My question: please tell me which fluid goes in which fill hole, according to my attached photo.
Number 1: Plastic container and cap (assumed this is hytran)
Number 2: Bolt in hole on top (no idea)
Number 3: Gear Oil ?(what weight?)
Number 4: Drain plug?

I have searched the archives, but haven't found an answer. Thank you for any response.
Email direct if need be to: [email protected]
56709.jpg

http://www.matthoobler.com/scout/cadet_rear.jpg

HI...The Owner/Operators manual specifies only Hy-Tran for both the hydrostatic pump <u>and</u> the gear reduction drive in IH Hydrostatic Lawn Tractors like the 282..... An Owner/Operators manual is invaluable. I highly recommend that you obtain one. Not to mention such things as Parts and Service manuals...

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

Matt,

Just a little info from what I found on a friends 382. Same as yours higher HP I think. His was not driving well either. We took the pump off the rear end and took the pump apart. Then flushed it with diesel fuel and it works now. I am not saying this is the prescribed way to fix one of these but it worked for me. I frankly figured we would ruin the thing, but it was already not working so what the heck. Before the tractor wouldn't do anything when the axle was placed against the close line pole. Now it spins the tires. I will say the fluid in ours had silver particles in it so the hydro is probably not in very good shape, but for a show tractor it should be fine and works for us.

Good luck.

If the pump isn't working, you could try what the Cub Cadet dealer told my dad to do with his 382H and drain out the hytran and fill with high-quality 90wt. Dad did this to his 382H after the transmission stopped functioning, and it's still going strong after about 12 years of this. You could try it on the old rearend, you haven't got much to lose.

Back