I know, I know - don’t buy a cheap magneto online.

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piginabag

Times are tight, our business is closed, and my 1863 with Kohler Command 18 lost spark to one cylinder. And I didn’t pull the engine to remove the old one before ordering a new one - thinking I could fix it in one day.

So I did - I ordered the cheapest magneto I could find for the model. It was like $10 with two spark plugs and even a little wire tie.

Anyway, the old magnetos have one spade terminal, connected to a white wire. The new one has a large spade terminal, and an orange wire pigtail.

Does anyone know what the terminals are, which to hook my white wire to, and what to do with the extra one?

Thank you!
FAED6E28-71FA-4BC0-9D54-575D4B21D7D7.jpeg

Times are tight, our business is closed, and my 1863 with Kohler Command 18 lost spark to one cylinder. And I didn’t pull the engine to remove the old one before ordering a new one - thinking I could fix it in one day.

So I did - I ordered the cheapest magneto I could find for the model. It was like $10 with two spark plugs and even a little wire tie.

Anyway, the old magnetos have one spade terminal, connected to a white wire. The new one has a large spade terminal, and an orange wire pigtail.

Does anyone know what the terminals are, which to hook my white wire to, and what to do with the extra one?

Thank you! View attachment 137980
1588471955825.png

Thank you for this - this wiring diagram confirms what’s on my tractor, and the original magnetos: one terminal, one white wire.

The problem is just that the new mag has two terminals. Since a mag is such a simple device, I’m hoping I can just use one terminal and ignore the other.

I think the one white wire is the “ground to kill” - goes to the ignition and the seat switch.

So the question is, which is the “ground to kill” terminal on the new coil - the large terminal, or the smaller orange pigtail?

Latest posts

Back