• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

How to change wheel/tire on Model 1430

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgoggins

displayname
Rob Goggins
Hi, I purchased my 8 year old son a hydrostatic Model 1430 Cub Cadet (model # on the side: 132-253-100) this summer as a "play thing". We immediately took the deck off and he just loves it. However, the rear right tire is flat. I used my compressor to put air in it, but it quickly deflated again within minutes. I want to take the wheel off so I can take it into the small engine repair shop in town (I don't have a trailer to haul it, nor do I want to pay them to pick it up and deliver it). I was able to get the black plastic cap off, and then I removed the bolt holding it to the axle. I figured I would then just loosen up the wheel and slide it off, but it doesn't budge. I've sprayed it with WD-40 and pounded it with a rubber mallet, but still no movement. I also went to the Cub Cadet website and was able to pull up the owners manual (pretty generic) but not the service manual. So, I'm looking for tips on how to remove this wheel. Thanks much!

- Rob

Hi Rob...

First, The WD in WD-40 is for Water Dispersal. So, if your wheel has been under water, go ahead and use it to help dry it out. Works wonders for drowned ignitions.

However, if you want to get that hub off the axle, go to your nearest Wal-Mart or favorite Auto Parts store and get you some PB Blaster...It's a rust buster and it works. Keep the hub/axle wet with PB Blaster for a couple of days, then try your rubber mallet. You are much more likely to have success....Sometimes, though, some heat probably should be applied but that usually means some shop work...so keep at the PB Blaster....sooner or later....

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

107591.jpg

107592.jpg

107593.jpg

Hi guys, thanks again for your help. I purchased the PB Blaster and sprayed some on the tire/wheel/axle this afternoon. Tonight my son and I tried to break the wheel loose - no luck. I haven't applied heat yet because I discovered that the movers removed our little gas canister attached to the blow torch (I forgot they told me it was too dangerous to leave that in the back of the moving truck). I've attached three pics of the wheel set up. The front of the wheel, where it attaches to the axle/threads seems a bit odd - almost like the inside metal piece is NOT supposed to come off? I tried taking a pair of pliers and pulling that outer (rustier) piece of metal off, but no luck - it's on solid. Anyway, if these pictures stir up any other thoughts on how to handle this situation, please share. If not, I'll try a little heat in the next day or two. Thanks again.

- Rob

Rob: Please !! always hit "enter/linefeed" between each photo!! Then the rest of us wont have to have a 9 foot wide monitor to see what you posted!!

By the way, PB blaster does work, but its not "instant magic"...This ain't like instant mashed potatoes....Patience required!! Just keep it sprayed for a couple of days and give it time to work its rust-busting chemistry!!

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

Rob: Welcome to the forum!!!
As an addition to what Myron said about posting pics, it's nice to restrict your picture size to 640 x 480 (or whatever height, but try to stay below 640 wide)....Not sure what you are using to resize pics, but you can usually get clearer pics if you go to that size and then reduce the resolution to stay under the 100 K limit....BTW - We like pictures, so keep it up !!!!!!!!
thumbsup_old.gif

Back