• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

HEATING OPTIONS:

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Charlie
that little heater will heat my in floor heat ok. I have 900 sq ft and the heater is designed for 1200 sq ft. so I have some extra capacity .Its up and running now and the floor is 65.5 deg .With a 64 deg temp at 6' ,I have a timer to setup so I know how much time it spends running .

232702.jpg

Frank C.
A gallon an hour was typical of house furnaces built 20 or 30 years ago. I used to be a fly on the wall when the oil burner man came to service the old oil furnace at the old house. One time he replaced the 1 gallon/hr nozzle with a slightly smaller 0.8 gallon per hour nozzle to clean up the flame, but I still burned about 150 gallons a month in the coldest 3 months, and about 100 gallons in the 2 bordering months. By the last winter there, when oil had spiked to $1.79 a gallon in 2003, my education was complete enough to specify a heat pump with a propane backup. With oil at $4.00 a gallon, I can only imagine what it would cost to heat that drafty old house now!

I am not sure it is even worth trying to heat my 30'x24'x10' pole barn unless I insulate it. A few times I worked out there using a 22000 BTU Kerosene heater, plus a couple of 1500 watt space heaters, it barely made a dent in the cold. I have a wood stove I might install, but I am not sure how I want to handle the flue pipe exit. It is tough to seal a metal roof around a hot flue pipe.

I live in Northern ILL and besides wood my only heating choice was propane and todays price is $2.00 a gallon. On a mild winter day I would use 1 percent of my 500 gallon tank and on a COLD winter day 2 to 3 percent depending on the person setting the stat.

We have 6 people and 2800sq feet not counting the basement. When the boiler is running it is 1 percent every two weeks. I know this because I keep a log.

I was renting a tank but a nieghbor sold me a 500 gallon tank for $300.00 so no more rental fee on the tank.
I only fill the tank once a year with the wood boiler and estimate I would fill the tank close to 4 times a year with out wood as my heat for the house and domestic hot water.

Back