HAY you...

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aschumacher

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Allen Schumacher
This is a little different...
My wife was doing a crossword puzzle yesterday and one clue was 'Did field work'
The answer worked out to be 'HAYED'. Cant find any reference to it anywhere.
Is this an old, obscure farming term ?? Just curious. thnx A.

We always referred to it as baling hay or simply bailing. I suppose before the hay baler was developed it may have been referred to as hayed (past tense?). I always hayed-ed it when it was really hot out when we bailed hay. Yeah I know keep my day job...
facepalm.gif

After the field was baled, you could say "we hayed that field.." You could also say that when someone has called out to you, you've been "hayed"... I've "hayed" the two noisey cockatiels across the room several times today, maybe even in all caps- HAY!!!!!....

Actually using "hay" as a verb to denote harvesting of hay - i.e. "haying" - is pretty common in this neck of the woods..

popcorn.gif

I kinda wonder at what point they figure you've "Hayed"? The old way of haying Kraig & I are familiar with took several days to complete. Say you mowed on Monday, the hay had to sit and dry or cure for 3-4 days. The invention of hay conditioners speeded that process up by about a day, and if you chopped "haylage" with a silage chopper you could chop a day sooner than you could bale. Then when the cut hay was finally dry enough, maybe on Wednesday if no rain and low humidity, or Thursday, you raked the hay into windrows in the morning after the dew was off, then right after lunch you could bale.

And where did the word "tedder" come from?? I'd never heard it 'till we came out here (32 years ago)...

Gerry - Look up Tedder Machine.
It's basically a rake that doesn't "windrow" the hay , it just fluffs it up to promote quicker drying. Great for drying out wet hay.

Dennis hayed the slow way.
We used to do it that way too until tedders came along.
The last hay I put up at the farm I mowed at night , teddered in the morning , raked and baled the next day. I put up the whole farm by myself in a week , never shut the engine off from one tractor without starting up another.
Kathy would meet me in the drive with sandwiches , Pepsi , Kools and a Kiss and I kept going.

Tedders have saved a lot of hay from rotting in the field after a rain.

KentucK - I knew what it was, I wanted the genesis of the name, probably a guy by the name of Ted...and I'm sure they didn't want to call it a "fluffer", if you know what I mean...

Gerry - Fluffers make good money I hear plus tips ...
My Grandfather called it a fluffer.

Oh so dats whut ewe wunted to kno.

Beats me how they got their name , just glad they were invented !

Gerry, this might be a little help...
ted (td)
tr.v. ted·ded, ted·ding, teds Chiefly New England
To strew or spread (newly mown grass, for example) for drying.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Middle English tedden.]
Regional Note: In 15th-century England the verb ted meant to spread newly cut hay to facilitate its drying. In the mid-19th century an American inventor produced a machine to ted the hay automatically and called it a tedder. Since modern English is inclined to make verbs out of nouns meaning implements or machines, the noun tedder became a verb with the same meaning as the original word ted. Tedder, a New England verb, also turns up in those parts of the Midwest that received settlers from New England.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

KEN - Yes, for only 20 acres of hay every year you didn't want to invest any more money in hay equipment than you had to. Dad used to grow an alfalfa/clover mix the went to straight alfalfa. Even with hay conditioners, crimpers, and tedders I don't think you could mow one night and bale the next day unless you wanted your barn to burn down due to spontaneous combustion.

The last couple years when Dad's old Oliver sickle mower finally required more $$$ for repairs than it was worth Dad & the neighbor started using their 6 ft Brillion rotary cutters for mowing hay. Didn't do quite as nice a job of mowing because it wouldn't pick up the downed hay from the NFE, but it crimped and conditioned the alfalfa a bit and set it in a nice little windrow which I'd rake about three or four together to bale.

I actually like baling straw better, lighter bales, not quite as dusty, and I'd hook both rakes together so I could cover about 25 feet per round. Running 5-6 MPH with the Super H you could rake 20 acres of straw in two to three hours depending on how big a hurry I was in.

Ken, Don't "fluffers" ......ahhhhh, errrrr "work" in Motels/Hotels??

Dennis - In the "Old Days" when we square baled I remember having to go cut open clover bales and scatter them out in the barn drive , they'd almost burn ya when you got into them. Later set the MF35 and NH baler in front of the door and rebale it.

We had a green conditioner that we spent more time unwrapping the rollers than we spent pulling. Then came along a NH Mowbine or what ever it was called. Sickle in front of rubber coated steel rollers , it did good until the disc mowers and tedders came along. We had a Vemeer disc with a conditioner on it but it was to heavy for their little cylinder to fold it up unless you got on a hillside to "help" it. I took the conditioner off ! NH disc took it's place and was great for cutting as fast as you could drive.

Tom - Behind the camera ;)

NHRA is on !!

Kentucky, I ran a crimper just like you descibed for 2 days to pay for the second car I owned, 68 Road Runner, 383 4 speed. I was 14. The one I ran never really gave any trouble. it did hate rocks.

Dad did lot of hay I was the labor.We used ford 501 sickle bar then got brady conditioner to speed things up.The first baler we had was the ac rotobaler had stop every bale finally got Mf12 and behind MF 165 diesel baled lot of hay.With AC baled 1.2 acer field for my Grandpa that had 205 bales of 60 lb bales.

KEN - One morning Dad & I heard sirens blaring about two miles away, we jumped in the pickup and went looking for the fire, pretty unusual for Dad to waste time like that. Neighbor had blown haylage that was too wet into their barn and it was starting to smolder. They were getting ready to start digging it out of the barn, had all the fire trucks and water trucks setting in the yard. That was the ONLY time I ever ran a Farmall 656 diesel pulling a water wagon from the neighbor's. All I could think of was, "Man, this makes our old 450 look nice!", I thought the D282 glow-plug engine was pretty crude. ANYHOW, they saved the barn, but lost all the haylage and most of the rest of the hay that was in the barn. I forget what they used to dig it all out with, loader tractors I think. Another neighbor had the same thing happen to his corn crib filled with too wet shell corn. Dad went over with the M & loader to dig some of that out. They cut huge holes thru the steel mesh siding and dug the corn out, scattered it around the barn yard so the fire dept. could spray it.

I think the NH mower/conditioners were known has "Haybines", they still bring good money at farm sales. I've never really heard of a BAD piece of NH hay equipment. And like you said, Never heard of a GOOD piece of Green hay equip., except maybe the old #5 sickle mowers. Some people say their new round balers are O-K.

I remember Dad pricing a new IH pull-type 9 ft sickle mower, think it was a model 1300, which was the incentive to get the cutting torch out and modify the Brillion to mow hay. The right side plate unbolted, and Dad cut the angled right rear corner plate off his & the neighbor's mower and welded tabs on so it could be bolted back on to chop stalks & clip pastures.

I'd run the old sickle mower with everything from a '39 H, '54 Super M-TA with live hyd, & LPTO, & power streering, and the '54 Super H, and the Super H ran it best, at least for me, I could mow as fast with it as the SM-TA on about half the gas, hitting the clutch stopped the tractor & PTO but not the hyd, I could clear a plug on the sickle in seconds compared to a minute with either the '39 H or SM-TA. As long as I had a tractor radio blaring I was happy! We even pulled the neighbor's IH #37 baler one afternoon with the Super H to make a couple loads of hay. It actually did a really good job. The #37 was a PTO powered baler, his old IH #55T had the IH 113 CID engine from an A,B, or C on it for power. I'd rake up some MONSTER windrows for it some times. I had to learn how to rake hay all over again when he got the #37.

The old Super H was our haying tractor, mowed, raked, hauled in, 30 HP did everything. You have to keep in mind this was all 40 yrs ago, people still "Touched" the hay bales with gloved hands on the twines.

The new disc mowers pull MUCH harder, plus guys pull them as fast as they can drive and stay in the seat. You need 100 HP to make hay now. A neighbor here has a BIG green baler that makes big square bales, about 4 ft X 5 ft X 6 ft. He pulls it with a 150-175 HP FWA tractor with duals.And a cab of course!

thought the bale throwers they came up were the answer till one summer I got on a crew with one. Do not get stuck unloading the rack. Bales were smaller but they came apart, twines popped off the corners. Spent a lot of time digging.

I hate unloading hay racks that have been loaded with a bale thrower. Lots of broken twine and loose hay all over the place. Bales wedged together what a mess! I much prefer the old days of bale hooks and stacking hay on the racks. Was good for developing all sorts of muscles in the arms, back and legs too.
happy.gif

Latest posts

Back