• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Gravel Driveway Drag

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcbusch

displayname
Terry Busch
Built a drag to see if it would level the pot holes in the driveway. The plan is to use the box blade diggers to rip the driveway first then drag it smooth.

300522.jpg

300523.jpg

300524.jpg

300525.jpg

Interesting design Terry. And timely for me too!

I've been thinking of different designs to accomplish the same thing.

I'll be watching how this develops and works out for you.

For sure, you won't break it! With the V design pulling everything towards the center, you may get a lot of spillover in the middle.

For years, I've dragged a section of wrought iron railing with a chunk of I-Beam on top of it for weight, just angling it slightly to pull the gravel towards the center and then no angle to smooth it. If I ever find my round tuits, I'd like to build a small version of an old style "hump back" grader like they used with horses and early tractors.

Looking for a picture of a horse drawn and came across this, which is almost exactly how I do mine now. The railing section I use is two flat sections, separated by the round uprights, laid flat on the ground it works as described in that link...

Thanks for the link Gerry. That "style" is still common and basically one of the designs I was considering.

I do have a Model A Ford axle and I was thinking of coming up with a humped grader blade that I could also switch out to my York Rake or the grader blade, with it suspended between the tractor and the axle.

I think I'm typing that right.. LOL.. ANyway, the extra distance provided by the trailer wheels being at the very back "should" take out a bunch of pitch and roll. In my mind it does anyway!

I smoothed out the driveway yesterday and it worked very well. I built a box blade a year or two ago that has teeth about every 8 inches. This will dig down roughly 2 inches. I took a couple of overlapping passed and roughed up the driveway real good. Then using the new drag it smoothed everything out.

I got the idea from watching the tractor pull guys. They have something similar to smooth out the "pot hole" created by the tractor spinning the wheels. Potholes are the problem I am trying to smooth.

That's good news Terry. Glad it's worked out for ya. Box Blade sounds interesting too!

Could you pull the box blade with the drag attached behind? Sorta 2 for 1...???

Terry,
thumbsup.gif
Good work!
I want one for my "9"!
snacks.gif

Maybe Aaron at Xtreme Motorworks should be making these.
1a_scratchhead.gif

Dang,
Never mind Aaron. You are well capable of making them. (well so is Aaron
shhh.gif
) Good work!
thumbsup.gif

Mike,
No they don't. Right now I use a bungee cord. I am going to work on that this winter. All they really need is a spring or something to hold them up.

Hope you can keep us in mind when it comes time to make the changes.. maybe share a pic or two???

It looks like a real nice piece you've created.

Latest posts

Back