• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

GOOD EATS!

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Luther, that all sounds delicious!!!
yummy.gif

Campfire cooking! Here's some venison burgers we had up at the cabin last fall cooked over the camp fire. Also made some potatoes and corn cooked in foil.

221082.jpg

221083.jpg

221084.jpg

Rodney Smith
Lobster is like most shell fish , they will have more meat in them if caught with the moon coming full.We eat lobster here about 8 or 10 times a year.depends on the price and right now its $5.25 a lb fresh caught the same day. I find the 2lb size the best eating as the bigger lobster will be a little rubbery .
thumbsup_old.gif

chef.gif

DON,
That $5.25 sounds dirt cheap.
I,m thinking that the last time I was somewhere and paid any attention they where $12-14.00 per pound live in a tank.

KRAIG,
I like the looks and idea of corn and potatoes cooked together. I sure do like corn on the cob with lots of butter.
When I'm grilling a steak I take 5-6 nice russet potatoes, peeled and quartered.In a covered glass dish add the potatoes and 2 or 3 good handfuls pepper stir fry with them. Season with
little black pepper,garlic powder, and some season salt.Add a 1\2 to full stick of real <font color="ff0000">butter</font> and cook in microwave until almost done.Put in foil and put on grill. I want my steak rare but my wife CHERYL wants hers well done.When her steak is done the potatoes have browned and are ready also.
IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE IDEA OF REAL BUTTER, I HAVE USED OLIVE OIL, BUT THEY DON'T TASTE AS WELL AND WON'T BROWN MUCH.
ROD

At the cabin we have an old wood cook stove. I don't know why, but it seems that anything cooked in the oven is amazing. Only thing I can come up with is it could be that the heat does not stay steady but goes up (way up sometimes!) and down as we add wood and it burns down. One of my favorite things to make in it is baked potatoes wrapped in foil. Before wrapping them I scrub them good then cut out a plug and replace it with a clove of garlic then place the plug back, though it only partially covers it. Then I sprinkle them with salt and wrap them with the foil and place them in the oven for an hour or so. The garlic infuses through the potato. YUM!
happy.gif

221111.jpg

chef.gif

KRAIG,
I hate to be the informant of bad news!
If you look close there is a problem.
I don't see a black iron skillet with frying chicken being cooked. Also no big pot of beans are simmering on the back burner.And I bet there isn't a pan of cornbread in the oven either!
Just a few more <font color="ff0000">GOOD EATS</font>!
ROD
221126.jpg

Kraig-
Try sweet potatos or squash cooked in that wood-stove you have at the cabin. The heat from the fire must carmelize the sugars in it, because they come out with a sweet, slightly smokey flavor. As funny as it sounds, I put "baked" potatoes, sweet potatoes, squash off to the side in our fireplace whenever we have a fire. They're FANTASTIC in there! It's too the point where my wife will go to the grocery store to buy some of the above if I build a fire in the fireplace and our kitchen is empty.

Like a good friend of mine says, "Don't get any on your forehead, your tounge will lick your brains out trying to get to it!"
roflol.gif

Kraig.

Why in the world would you have a gas cook stove so close to a sorce of open flame as that beautiful wood cook stove.

Those old wood cook stoves make the best pancakes ever.

chef.gif

Talking about wood cooking and such,got me to remembering back. When I was a kid sometimes after SUNDAY gatherings,dad would stop at this little gas and grocery store. If it was warmer he usally got a lb. of boloana (the guy sliced it the thickness you wanted) and 1\2 lb. of longhorn cheese,bread, maybe a big bag of chips and each one a graoe or strawberry NEHI. If it was a little cooler out he would get I think 2 for each of us those big red hotdogs,buns,chips, and soda. We would head off down the hills where dad was born and raised.(OZARK HILLS). One of the gravel roads had a nice creek and we would stop.
On the creek bank he always built up a fire. First he got an old coffee pot (like the one on KRAIGS stove) out of the trunk,dipped water from the creek, and made him and mom coffee.If it was cooler, he my brother and I went and got sticks to roast those hotdogs on.They were GOOD EATS!
They don't taste the same today! After eating, my brother and I caught crawdads and minnows from the creek while my little sister sat at the waters edge and played. When it was time to leave dad poured what was left from the coffee pot on the fire. Then he rinsed it out and poured that on also.I don't remember where mom and sis were, but he let RON and I do our thing on the fire also.(HEY EPA)
Those were GOOD TIMES and GOOD EATS!
ROD
221133.jpg

Kraig --The picture of that wood stove brings back memories. My Grandmother had a wood stove like that (no enamel) in the kitchen of her house and used it for heat and cooking all the time. The fire never went out summer and winter. They had to sell the house and my first and last question was, what will they do with the stove? Wish I had it now. I would build a house with a big central kitchen just to use it.

By the way, my grandfather also bought her a gas stove, but she could never cook in the gas stove like she could in the wood stove, all the GOOD EATS came from the wood stove.

Anyway, thanks for the picture. I'm getting tears in my eyes now thinking about my grandmother.

Rod, if you look close you'll see the temp gauge on the oven door is all the way to the low side, as in it's cold = no fire. We were just up for the day to check on some stuff and snapped a photo of the stove. BTW, that oval griddle hanging on the wall behind the gas stove, it's cast iron.

Lonny, keep in mind there's an open flame pilot light on the top of the gas stove central to all 4 burners. It's under the top cover but still an open flame. I don't see a problem...

chef.gif

KRAIG,
Just was giving you a hard time.
My wife would like your stove.Just think of all the good food that has been prepared on it.
Lonny,
They even made a <font color="ff0000">COMBO STOVE</font>! Gas burners and wood oven. This one is in the wifes kitchen.
We don't have it hooked up. My wife likes to decorate with antique items. Maybe thats why she keeps me around!LOL
ROD
221149.jpg

drool.gif

Well lot's of things I considered good eats,the DR says is a no-no.
Here is one we could agree on.
Great with little olive oil on grill, in skillet,
just however.
224842.jpg

Rod, my asparagus is just starting to poke through the ground. Shouldn't be long and I'll be able to pick some.
happy.gif

chef.gif

Well, I wasn't able to go mushroom hunting this year. Hope the rest of you found an abundance.
Post em if you got em!
225042.jpg

ROD

We celebrated my son's re-enlistment yesterday at a restaurant in Virginia Beach. I ordered Prince Edward Island mussels with linguine in a wine sauce. (I wish I had taken a picture, but I had eaten half the plate before I realized how good they were.) I don't know what is so special about the mussels from Prince Edward Island (they seemed kind of small), but they sure were tasty. (The menu identified them as "sustainable.") I remember thinking, I'll bet (Forum member) Donald Tanner can get a plate of these any time he wants, the lucky dog!
smile.gif

Good eats, eh? Well, here's one that I found..

Denny's "fried cheese melt"
Denny’s describes the Fried Cheese Melt as “made with four fried mozzarella sticks and melted American cheese grilled between two slices of sourdough bread. It is served with French fries and a side of marinara sauce.”
259030.jpg

Hey - just stumbled on this thread and man do I like some good chow! Just visited with John Boelens and gotta say his better half can sure throw down some grub. Homemade biscuits and gravy, eggs, hash browns, pancakes and bacon! Also had a big ole heaping platter of morels and killer brownies to chase it all down! All that cooked on a '60 vintage killer stove. Makes my lips smack and mouth water just thinking about it. Not sure how he snagged her but definitely a keeper!

Looking for some good recipes for homemade pancakes and waffles. There's gotta be some out there somewhere a whole lot better than Auntie J in a box!!!

Come on Gals, let's see what yer hiding in that cookbook!!!

Latest posts

Back