• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

GOOD EATS!

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodsmith

displayname
Rodney Smith
chef.gif

Guess I shouldn't be ashamed to say I really like to cook.I do 90% of the cooking here at home.I do a pretty good job at it and I haven't killed anybody yet. My wife is a good cook, but puts lots of hrs. at work. This helps her out.
Anyway thought this might be a way of coming up with some winter food ideas. Such as differant chili recipies,ways to fix wild game,grilling,meat smoking,& jerky making ideas.
THANKS,
ROD
220719.jpg

Rodney, my wife could not eat your chili with the sliced jalepeno pepper garnish. The kids like to say that she objects to anything hotter than ketchup. I like to make spaghetti with just a dash of red pepper, but I can't sneak in an amount small enough for her not to notice --AND COMMENT. (Maybe if she didn't say anything, I could live with it.) I finally gave up and add red pepper flakes to my own dish at the table.

I admire your courage. The hardest part of cooking is "selling it" to those who will consume it. But at least you don't have to do the dishes: that's the deal in our house.

chef.gif

JEREMIAH,
Sorry,didn't mean, to decieve anyone.That isn't my chili. It's a photo I borrowed to post. My chili is just your plain ole chili.
Ground beef (or venison) beans lots of onion,
WILLIAMS seasoning and my mother-in-laws or canned diced chili ready tomatoes from wally world.I like mine thick enough to be able to scoop up bites with crackers and eat. Maybe a little shredded cheese on top. My wife on the other hand fixes her bowl of chili to look like the photo. I buy her the big 62oz jars of VLASIC jalapeno peppers from wally world,she uses about one a month. She eats them on about everything.
Anyway her chili has lots of cheese (she eats cheese every meal also) the peppers and sour cream.We both use lots of black pepper on things.
I use red pepper flakes on pizza slices,she uses the pepper flakes and jalapenos on hers.
Have you ever tried the jalapeno jelly? They take most of the seeds out (they carry the heat)
and add red and green bell pepper and sure jell with sugar and make a jelly.I like it on biscuits.
ROD

I too like to cook, as I learned while a boy scout, and more recently as a scoutmaster. In my teens, I was a cook for a local Big Boy restaurant. I have begun to buy ingredientrs to "built" my pot of chili for the super bowl party on sunday... (I'm a Giants and Bearssss fan, but oh well...)

here is my recipe, no voodoo here, really quick to build..

Scoutmaster Chili
From the mind of Scott Tanner, Troop 66
1 Big pot (12 qt.) or crockpot
2 lbs. country style pan sausage
3 lbs. ground beef or meatloaf mix
2 lbs. ground turkey
2 4 oz cans medium diced or sliced chilies
1 4 oz can hot diced or sliced chilies
2 16 oz jars medium salsa (or hot, if desired)
2 40 oz cans red kidney beans
3 14.5-oz cans Italian style stewed tomatoes
1 4 oz can tomato paste
2 large Vidalia onions, quartered
4 tbsp. chili powder
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
salt
pepper
Brown and drain all meat, peel and quarter onions, and drain chilies. Place 1/2 can of kidney beans, drained, into food processor and puree. Combine all ingredients into pot, bring to a boil, then cover and simmer at low for 2-3 hrs, stirring occasionally. Place cover off to side of pot for last hour to evaporate some of the liquid. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve with, shredded cheddar, fresh warm Italian bread with lots of butter, and Tums. Serves a lot of people, to halve recipe, get more people.
lazerburn.gif
lazerburn.gif

lazerburn.gif

chef.gif

Scott,
Sounds good except might be a little
explotar2jr.gif
for my taste.Have you ever tried adding a can or so of RO*TEL Chili Fixin's? It's seasoned diced tomatoes & green chilies.Does spice it up some also. One thing I like to do when I can and everyone stays out of it,is to make it the day before.Kind of like a lot of things,gives the flavers a chance to melt together. Sounds like by tomorrow night you may have this
BedFart.gif
bouncy.gif
I like sausage in mine also, but the wife don't,
so she gets her way!LOL
ROD

I have been looking for a good recipe for chili, but can't handle too much chili powder. Hope to see some more here, as it is the time of year for it. Scott, I have printed yours, just trying to cut the recipe down for two people. Also will have to keep the 'spicy' down for the little woman.

KennyP

chef.gif

KENNY,
Try- 2lbs diet lean ground beef
1 medium onion
2-14 or 15 oz cans of great value chili beans
2-14 or 15 oz cans of diced tomatoes or 2 cans of great value chili ready tomatoes
1 8oz can tomatoe sauce
1 pkg WILLIAMS chili seasoning for 2lbs meat

Brown meat with diced onions in skillet.
As this browns, in your chili pot add other ingrediants and start simmering.
When the meat & onions are browned, (should not have to drain meat if you used diet lean,drain if you didn't) add to simmering pot.
Let all this simmer for hr or so. Let cool and refridgerate overnight and heat next day.
Should have good flavor and not be spicy hot.
If you want it not so thick add a can of beef broth, or some V8 juice.

My recipe isn't all that hot, if you use mild or medium chiles and salsa... I bring a shaker of red pepper flakes for those who want
lazerburn.gif

Besides, that is what beer is for... squelch the heat...

I am not fond of hot chili... Buffalo wings, on the other hand...
explotar2jr.gif

chef.gif

Scott,
Here is a good one for a game day,or movie night!
Spicy Hot Wings!!
12 chicken wings
1/2 cup unsalted butter (melted)
5-8 tablespoons hot sauce
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
Cut wing tips from wings and discard or save for making chicken stock.Split each wing at the joint and cut through so there are 2 pieces from each wing. Rinse and dry completely. In large bowl,combine the melted butter,hot sauce and vinegar and stir until completely mixed.
Heat your oil to 375°. Put half the wings into the oil and cook until browned and crispy, about 12-15 minutes. Remove wings, drain on layered paper towels,for brief time.Then stir wings into sauce mixture. Do remainder of wings the same way. Serve hot with veggie sticks and ranch or blue cheese dressing.
ROD

Rod, Thanks.
Scott, I can handle the 'spicy' and prefer it that way. I get indigestion from chili powder and all canned chili is made with about double the chili powder in it that is needed. I think some brands cook some meat, throw some beans in,put in a couple scoop shovels of chili powder in and say its 'CHILI'. Yuk. The Momma can't handle to much spicy.

chef.gif

KENNY,
This won't taste like any canned chili!
Make sure you use the original Williams seasoning.
I get a indigestion,or mild heartburn from spaghetti and lasagna. With it I believe it's from the oregano in the sauce. I'm not a big fan of either anyway so don't eat much of it.
ROD

Rod, I don't have much of a problem with anything else. But, if I smell the chili powder, I WILL have indigestion. I have often wondered what you could put in something to counteract the chili powder? I went to the store today and bought the ingredients, so we will give this a try.

KennyP

chef.gif

Kenny,
Let me know what you think! You won't hurt my pride any if you all don't like, so please be honest.I realize most folks have beer with chili and also pizza. I have never been a drinker.To me a glass of milk goes good with chili, and also cuts the heat if I try something that makes it to spicy. When I was growing up we very seldom had soda. Always milk,kool-aid,tea or sometimes juice. When my mom made chili dad always wanted a bottle of DR. PEPPER.
ROD

OK, this thread is going to get some traffic from me in the next few months! I almost like cooking more than I like eating!
happy.gif

Scott-
I gotta try that Chili recipe. That sounds fantastic!

Rodney-
If you want to try a different twist on those wings, try grilling them and then dumping your wing-sauce on them. My wings are the everytime hit at the work-potlucks. (As a matter of fact, last time we had one I didn't bring wings, and caught HECK over it!)

To be continued....
220806.jpg

chef.gif

ART, I am glad you will enjoy the thread,and glad to here you like cooking. I will try the grilled hot wings.I love grilled food and BBQ.
220813.jpg

ROD

chef.gif

OKAY!
Starting to get down to which came first,the chicken or the egg!
What does everyone like,charcoal or gas grills?
Gas or electric stoves?
I like the flaver of charcoal,and thats what I use.BUT-Sometimes wish I had gas when i'm in a hurry wanting a steak and have to wait on the grill charcoal.
I like a gas cookstove,I seem to be able to control heat better. But I now have an electric cookstove.
This is a real charcoal smoker.It was built using a IHC A-type LA 1.5hp hit&miss engine. Built on a I.H. FARMALLF-20 differential.
PRETTY COOL ain't it?
ROD
220815.jpg

Rod - I'm with you on gas in the kitchen. When we bought this old house in 2003 it didn't have a gas connection to the kitchen, so we bought an electric stove/oven. I never felt like I had any control of the heat. Eventually, I ran a gas line to the kitchen and bought a gas stove. (I also ran gas to the garage and put a heater in there.)

I also prefer the flavor of charcoal grilled, but have gas grills because (like you) I like the idea of not having to wait for the coals to heat up. More importantly, just like in the kitchen, I can control the heat much better with gas - charcoal just does it's own thing without any concern for me! (Sounds like I'm describing an ex-wife or something, doesn't it?) My brother can control charcoal heat pretty precisely, but I don't have enough patience for that.

Well, I just got finished building the vat of chili.... As you can see, I like it chunky... It'll simmer until about 3 pm today, then off to the party...
220823.jpg

chef.gif

SCOTT,
Looks sqeal!
I mean swell!
shame.gif

REMEMBER!!--Presentation is everything!
Does that give it that down home taste?
I don't add pig snout to my chili.
ROD
220838.jpg

Latest posts