• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

For theOfficial IH'ers out there! "Kelp-Cutter"?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thoffman

displayname
Tom Hoffman
Looking through some Farm Journals today from 1945. What is the IH Kelp-Cutter? This shoud keep you guys busy for a while.

Well, here's a SWAG...
Since the articles were from 1945, and magazine deadlines are usually a few months ahead of publication times, I would guess it had to do with WWII.
Kelp is kind of a seaweed--type plant, which could mess up propellers, so it was something that IH developed and/or manufactured during the war, which was used by the Navy for getting the stuff out of the way of the props.
It was mounted on the bow or the keel of ships in harbors and other fairly shallow areas so they could manuever without having to constantly clear the props. Since kelp is also edible, it also gathered the cut kelp for a food source.
How far off am I?

Okay, you've left me hanging here for a week now. What is it?

25353.jpg

The Kelp Cutter was a torpedo that IH built for the Navy in World War II. IH constructed some of the first "clean rooms" to build them, with climate control that could maintain temperature within one degree of setpoint, maintain specific humidity, and filter the air of all particulates. Their machining was good to one millionth of an inch. They cost about $50,000 at that time, which was considered a good investment if one torpedo happened to sink a multi-million dollar Japanese warship and save many US ships from a similar fate.

WELCOME.gif
Colin, welcome to the forum.
Thanks for posting an answer to Tom's challenge, I hope Bruce gets to read it.
happy.gif

ihrotate.gif
Your website looks like a good resource for owners of the Cub Cadet's larger relatives.
greenthumb.gif

I visited the Wisconsin Historical Archive in February, and found information on the Kelp Cutter while looking for some other information. I also looked at a movie that IH made about their war effort, and it gave a lot of info on the Kelp Cutter. The booklet that was mentioned in the newspaper was a tri-color booklet about the torpedo, how, why, and where it was made. I may have written down the box and file for it, if anybody wants to order a copy from the WHA.

Yes, that website is a good resource. Folks with Cub Cadets can also post there. I encourage anybody to do so.

Latest posts

Back