• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

First cub memory

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theaton

displayname
Todd Heaton
The first memory of actually using my cub back was when it was an 86 model. I was cuttin grass with a push mower in the dead heat of the summer. I was around age 10 at the time, Dad walked out to me and asked do you want to use the riding mower? Being 10 or so I asked is it easier than the push mower, duh. After I was done cuttin the grass I shut the PTO off and kept on riding as if I were still cuttin grass. Finally Dad came out to me and said now that you have had some fun, I will show you how to clean the mower deck off after each time you use it so that it will last.Good stuff

Good story Todd, I remember to this day when I first bought my first cub and brought it home to my new house, one neighbor questioned why I wanted such a large machine for a 60x120 lot until the first winter that I lived here and he hadn't gotten out to clear the snow and I was already over at his house clearing his sidewalks and driveway!!! He is no longer with us but his wife and daughter still "kid" me about having a cub for snow duty but they sure like seeing me come around and clean them out and we still laugh about his comment to this day
happy.gif

Hugh, Why did you start clearing the neighbors snow? Hopefully to do a good deed, but more likely because it was peerdy fun! Am I right?

My first Cub memory is from back in 1969 when I was 8 years old. I was looking through the window in the entryway as my dad cleared the driveway with the then brand new Cub Cadet 125 thinking how much I wanted to be doing it. I had to wait until I was almost 10 years old before I was turned loose on it. My favorite time of year was spring right after the snowthrower was removed but before the mower deck was put on, (or fall when the mower deck was removed) I'd use it as an off road go-kart. I loved playing with it in the area of the pasture where we had a gravel pit. I'm surprised I never tipped it over climbing hills and diggin' in the dirt with it.
buttrock.gif

Here I am on the 125 with my two younger brothers, circa 1975.

74100.jpg

First CC Moment I had was in the spring of '63 when the IH pickup from the local IH dealer in Cambridge, IL showed up with the brand new Cub Cadet & mower. Mom got to mow the house yard but I got to mow the barnyard because there was nothing to hit. I'd been mowing it for a year or so with a home-made garden tractor made out of a David-Bradley walk-behind pulling a push mower and that CC was SO much nicer to run. That winter Dad was tractor shopping for more HP at an IH dealer 50-60 miles from home. I was watching the dealer move snow with a Cubbie and a blade..... Guy running the Cubbie came over and told Me & Mom that I should have Dad buy Me a Cub Cadet. I informed Him We already had one....I just needed the Blade! Still haven't got a front blade...except on the Super H.

Allen, the headlight panel broke due to vibration, it cracked around the upper mounting stud for that right headlight. The panel has since been replaced.

My first Cub Memory is of my dad/grandpa's co-owned Original.
Here's a pic of my older brother on it.Since this is comin's and goings I'll mention he died proudly serving US Army Nightstalkers, Ft. Campbell Kentucky.NSDQ
74139.jpg

here it is about 7 years ago.
74140.jpg

Its current picture is in my profile.Work in Progress, including the kids.

Yes Kraig, "the headlite panel broke due to vibration"! And what were you doing with that fun tractor at the age of 14? Probabily the same thing a friend and I were doing with and old car in a field at that age. I'm sure vibration got it, but not in the innocent way you describe. BTDT
angel.gif

Allen, you could be correct, note that there are no attachments on it. I was likely headed out for a spin in the gravel pit.
angel.gif
Looks like spring or early summer to me. Hmmmm, with the Farmall C hooked up to that trailer it would usually mean one of two things, hauling leaves or building fence and I'm gonna guess hauling leaves that didn't get raked the previous fall.

Rick, great old photo! Sorry about your brother. My youngest brother, the one setting on the Cub Cadet with me in the photo below was killed in March of 2003.

My first memory of my CC was when I was 6 years old. I used to go to grandma an grandpas through the summer while my parents worked. Grandpa used to let me drive his CC 104 1969 while I sat on his lap. I now have this CC since he gave it to me in 94' and hes since passed on,but the memories ill always have
happy.gif

Back