• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Engine noise

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mesmith

displayname
melvin e. smith
I bought an old 124 that is rough and would not run.when I got it running the clutch and release brg.were noisy.I fixed this problem and now engine sounded like a loose rod.when I changed the oil it looked like tar.I pulled the engine down and to my supprise the crank and rod were slick and in specs. the piston looks good but I cain`t measure the bore. the crank brgs.feel good .every thing is std.I made a small adj. on exhaust valve.valve guides are not loose. end play on crank shaft is on low spec.are these engines normally noisy? any ideas appreciated mesmith.

Take a look at the balance gears. They are not suppose to have side to side slop. There is a spec for the side to side movement not sure what it is without pulling out the manual. Also look at the condition of the teeth on the gears. If your engine is noisy this is likely the cause. My 14 hp sounded like it had a loose pulley rattling around. Turned out to be the gears.

Terry,as soon as I received your message I went and took a look.terry,the crank drives the cam and the cam drives the governor gear(which I can just see the edge)I don`t see any more gears,this is a earley 69 mod.the cam has a small amount of end play,and the fly weights on the cam are kinda loose,the nylon washers under the fly weights do not seem brittle. did all of the 301a`s have balance gears?thanks Terry

Not all had or have gears. Here are the end play specs. Also, If everything feels tight and in specs then just run the engine. If it gets any louder then you definitely have a problem.
153761.jpg

Melvin, Factory replacement engines fairly early on and I assume short blocks, came with balance gears. Factory replacement engines were painted black My 126 has one in it. It has a different spec #,mine is 47504 and the engine tag is/was a sticker instead of a metal tag. If someone put a short block in it they probably used the original shrouds which would have the original spec#. Both my 126 and 147 had balance gears and the 147 was extremely noisey when I got it. Use a stethascope (long screw driver) and listen to various areas on the engine when it is running,vary the throttle speed as you listen. Balance gears are loudest behind the starter generator adjacent to the crankshaft pulley. There are stories of the balance gears exiting the crankcase and destroying the engine. A rod loose enough to knock will usually fail in a very short time,however a loose wrist pin or piston could run quite a while,but severely damage the engine. The generator drive pulley can come loose and rattle and wear our the pulley bore and wear the crank surface, so even a new pulley will not fit tight, I ran into that one myself.

Wayne,I cain`t see way there could have been balance gears in this block.the wrist pin does not show any abnormal wear.piston may be the culpret.in an auto engine a piston makes more of a pecking noise.this noise sounds pretty heavy.when I removed the shroud all of the cooling fins were completely blocked, it would have had to run hot.the cyl.bore is smooth and piston skirt is not scuffed.I think I will go for a new piston and rings and if it still knocks just let knock.Thanks Wayne

Digger,I am sorry if I posted wrong,this is my second post.old age has a pretty good grip on me.(74)I have read the most asked questions and rules.I went to the page you referenced and could not spot the problem.could you be more specefic? thanks mesmith

ME Smith: Age hasn't anything to do with it. It's called reading! I'm 71 and I have no problem figuring out that this thread is for Tractor style lawn mowers!! NOT Garden Tractors....Just ask any question about your Garden Tractor on the Garden Tractor thread!!!Geeesh!! (PS: it's the first one at the top of the index page).

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

Uhhh, Melvin...would that be my Lawn Tractor or perhaps do you think it should be my Garden Tractor?? At least, I do know which is which...
old.gif

Myron B

M.E. Smith. In a way I can understand where people tend to get confused with the terms LAWN and GARDEN tractors. The following regards the LAWN tractor section and is quoted below:

IH Cadet lawn tractors
A discussion forum for IH Cadet LAWN tractors. Rules are the same as elsewhere.

Lawn tractors include the 76, 80, 81, 111, 1100 and 182 thru 482 - pretty much if it has a B&S and a belt...

If you read the above the definition of a lawn tractor is pretty much the above models. YES!!! In PART you are correct and in PART you are wrong. Cub Cadets were/are BOTH LAWN @ GARDEN tractors only some are purely a lawn tractor. Neither Myron or Charlie or anyone else is being a smart ANYTHING when they state to take time to read before posting. Each new member has a responsibiity to carefully and thoroughly READ the rules regarding posting. Perhaps by doing so there wouldn't be so many isolated postings in the wrong sections.

What I am trying to say is simply this.... PLEASE take some time to go into each section and read some of the posts. This will give you a chance to become familiar with the various topics being talked about.

I am going to be upfront and ask you here and now.... M.E. SMITH... Did You take the time to explore/review each site to get a general idea of what each is set up for? I am NOT going to play any age factor (as you set yourself up with by stating your age to begin with). I am 57 ... nothing to do with age..... I simply learned a LONG time ago be courteous, think as much as possible before posting (I still struggle at times with that one) ..... PATIENCE>>>> If you haven't taken the time to enter each site and study it .... sadly to say.... and again I am NOT picking on you and neither is anyone else... Perhaps you should take the time and do some further homework before telling anyone where to put anything. AND THEN please refrain from future bursts of expression whether you feel they are justified or not. All in all this is a great Forum with many tremendously knowledgeable people. They will answer your questions and help with any problems you may encounter. That is if you don't lose their respect.
happy.gif

Thank you for taking time to read this and we'll look forward to reading you posts and answering your questions in the proper section of the forum which is....CLICK HERE... TOPICS IH CUB CADET FORUM

Myron B.... I just read your response to Angel.... She is laughing her little butt off.
angel.gif
roflol.gif

To Terry and Wayne I think you for the good advice you gave,down south all the small tractors are riding lawnmowers.Digger and Myron you need to step back and take a good look at how small you really are. don`t feel obligated to respond,I am deleting this forum.

M.E. Smith. I know that you haven't totally left this site just yet. So... I am going to inform you of this. Neither Charlie, Myron or ANYONE is "small" on this site as you so deftly put it. Just because down south all little tractors in your opinion are riding mowers or so you've stated then you must remember this. We have a LOT of members from ALL over the country and some from around the world. Only you have stated that the "down south... " part. It is sad and yet obvious that you don't want to show patience or accept help. With that said, I'll close with simply this.... "Good Luck... we wish you the best.... and finally... by leaving here after such a trivial incident truly shows how LITTLE your world is. Take Care.
coffee.gif

Melvin: Given that I live further south than you, I can assure one and all that all Southerners aren't hicks and don't know a lawn mower from a tractor. Most of us are intelligent, articulate and generally well-educated. Of, course, not all fit that description. I hope that you don't run away just because you posted in the wrong thread and, with a bit of tongue-in-cheek humor, were pointed out the error of your ways...Even at our ages we should still be able to learn. I learn something new on this forum regularly and I have more IH Cadet & IH Cub Cadet knowledge, experience and reference materials than most. Lighten up...Most everyone on this forum, including me, will go out of our way to help you with your Cub Cadet. Stick around and you will find that we aren't near as bad as you are making us out to be.

Myron B

Melvin,
Don't leave, the guys are a little thin skinned today.
bottom.gif
Myron is generally not that grumpy, might be cause of the heat.
Shotgun.gif
You had to guess at were to post and you guessed wrong, that's OK, just remember you have a tractor not just a mower. I would like to know the outcome of the engine, just post it on the main board.
thumbsup.gif

Terry B. M.E. Smith was clearly directed as to where to go with my post at 11:34 a.m. this morning. I couldn't make it any clearer to him other than literally going to his residence and showing him on his computer how to interpret my... CLICK HERE.... TOPICS IH CUB CADET FORUM. Ask yourself this... As far as his "guessing" as where to post. I pretty much helped out as to where he couldn't get any more help. If he read the rules and FAQs then he should have gone a bit further and researched this site. How Much Clearer Could I Have Made It For HIM with what I posted. No one is being thin-skinned here today. Just pratical. PERHAPS when this gentleman first posted someone should have steered him to the proper posting area right away. Would that have helped? We'll never know. When I tried to help guide him to the correct posting area...did he respond positively .... NO.... He simply thanked you and Wayne, totally ignored my offer and decided to move on. Sometimes in life we must remember that you can lead a horse to water only...

At the end of the day all we really accomplished is scaring someone away from this site. I think there are better ways of informing people of the rules. It feels good to help people when they have questions. Maybe that's selfish, but they get something and so do I. I do not feel good about what happened here.

I have seen other sites just move the post with a Moderator note saying "This post was moved to this sub form beacuse....."

I am certainly not telling anyone what to do I just enjoy the site and would like to keep as many people around as possible.

Even the ones with "thin skin"
thumbsup_old.gif

Back