• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Empty crankcase at 2 hours?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
was using my cub cadet for around two hours of work until it stated raining. When I went to fire it up the next day, I noticed the crankcase was nearly empty. (I say nearly, the machine was parked on an angle) and also noted that the plow, which was clean when installed, was now covered in oil. The motor still turns over, but I don't want to start it in fear of damaging it. When the motor was running, It did not smoke at all so I think it must be a leak. But, then again, I know next to nothing. I really hope this motor isn't fried though.

20230811_113355.jpg
20230811_113410.jpg
20230811_113401.jpg

Time for a new crank seal... You are soooooo lucky you didn't have another hour's worth of work to do.
My 1450 spewed oil like crazy for a weekend until I got the new crank seal and replaced it. Not hard at all...Yours being vertical shaft, might be a little more involved.

How is changing the crank seal on a K17? Out of nowhere mine is suddenly pouring out. Breather is clear, so no over crankpressure. Is there a common oil seal failure on these Kohler? I haven't roamed around to confirm crank seal buts it's not up top so...

just got the part in, drained the rest of the oil and tried to remove the old seal. I tried the screw method (where you put a screw in it and then pry at the screw until it comes out) but it will not budge. Any Idea how to get it off? the engine is a 12.5 kohler command vertical shaft btw.

How is changing the crank seal on a K17? Out of nowhere mine is suddenly pouring out. Breather is clear, so no over crankpressure. Is there a common oil seal failure on these Kohler? I haven't roamed around to confirm crank seal buts it's not up top so...
Can't imagine it being very difficult. Most difficult part would be removing a manual PTO that hasn't been off in, like, forever...

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/37741-kt17-front-seal/
Can someone show me what this valve breather looks like? I'm guessing when I rerouted my breather out of the air filter area that the additional length of hose pinched.. Created pressure and popped the seal. Can these crank seals be done with engine in tractor?
1692291173141.png

Did mine in the tractor - took about 2 hours total. But I also took the opportunity to install the muffler crutch and since I don't have an impact, had to use the cordless drill and old school ratchet / socket / wrench combo...

View attachment 155044

Did mine in the tractor - took about 2 hours total. But I also took the opportunity to install the muffler crutch and since I don't have an impact, had to use the cordless drill and old school ratchet / socket / wrench combo...
If you have cordless impact, like the ones used for driving screws, get the 3/8 and 1/4 socket adapter for it. You'd be amazed how much you can use it one these cubs, and power sports toys as well. Even vehicle interiors, and top end engine work. Removing valve covers and the like.

If you have cordless impact, like the ones used for driving screws, get the 3/8 and 1/4 socket adapter for it. You'd be amazed how much you can use it one these cubs, and power sports toys as well. Even vehicle interiors, and top end engine work. Removing valve covers and the like.
Yeah, my cheap ass has been looking for a DeWalt 18v 1/4" or 1/2" impact since I have a set of 18v drills, saws. Unfortunately, either people want next to the same price as a new one or they're all 20v. I have a 20v style to 18v style adapter, so I'm just keeping an eye on FB Marketplace.

If anyone has an 18v DeWalt impact driver just laying around with bad batteries and want to get rid of it...hit me up. :errrr:

Latest posts

Back